Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First... we should have all the ImpalaFest awards posted on our website within a couple of days; I don't have *all* results, just those who received awards. It isn't a matter of not wanting to post all that information, I simply don't have it. :) If it is essential to know the autocross times or the drag racing ETs for someone who isn't on the list, please contact [email protected] and let us know what you need. Your patience and understanding is appreciated!

Now, for the car show additions... Our crew that tallied all the scores, entered them into the computer and ranked the entries did a great job, and gave me the results exactly as the rules call for them. But when I finally looked at the complete spreadsheet, not just the winners, I saw that we had a lot of other cars that were within a couple points of winning a trophy. In the past we often awarded multiple 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies in such cases; this year we'll be sending these individuals a "Class Award" to honor their achievements.

With this note, we want to recognize a fine group of automobiles that were "left out" during the ImpalaFest awards. Some of these were, literally, within a couple points of first place in their class; all were outstanding examples of the high quality of cars that entered this year's event. We'll be contacting each of these individuals shortly, at the address they used for their ImpalaFest registration. See... there's a good reason for giving us complete and accurate registration information. <laugh>

All of these will be listed in the final show results, along with the class winners that were announced during the event. If your name is listed here, please accept our congratulations for a fine job on your entry; if a friend's name is listed, please congratulate him or her for this recognition of their efforts. Alphabetically by last name, the Class Award winners are:

Anthony Baird, BJ Barnhart, Lance Bartling, Jason Bintliff, Bill Brannan, Jerry Campbell, James Cunningham, Terry Denton, Dan Gabriel, Tom Hall, Charles Henry, Donny Hunter, Michael Kelly, Bob Lane, Stephen Lawrence, William Madison, Magdalene Martinez, Steve Mason, Victor Mata, Peter McAlarney, Mark Michna, Roy Moore, Richard Morales, Robin Moya, Christopher Nickell, Robert Nobling, Stuart O'Gorman, Russell Pryor, Fred Quinn, John Rafteseth, Jose Rodriguez, Howard Rothstein, Carla Russo, Kevin Ryan, John Schroeder, Roy Smith, Forest SSmith, William Steubing and Gordon Tedford

Regards,
Dan Johnsen
[email protected]

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dan--
Posted for William Steubing--
Please contact me (Bob McLeod) for an updated mailing address for William Steubing.
He has moved.
The address he used on his Impalafest application is incorrect.
Thank you,

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were these mailed already??? I haven't received anything. I requested my score sheet too, I was told it would be mailed to me, and haven't seen that either.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HuSSker:
Were these mailed already???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, sir. We haven't forgot about ya'll.
We'll send out a post once the items the post office.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<typing to fast..i tried to say> We'll send out a post when the items are shipped out.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exxxcelent...<tapping fingertips together> I'm just glad my mail man hasn't given it to someone else. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would like my score also. was told by the person that judged my car that i couldn't have it. car #259. thanks :confused:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a different volunteer judge for each class (or group of classes), scores are really only meaningful for *ranking* the vehicles within a class. That is, they can be used to figure out which car the judge put first, which one was second, etc.

You can't compare these scores to your scores at another show, and you can't compare them to your buddy's scores from a different class. Those were different days, or different locations, or different judges...

Knowing the numeric scores generally only makes people angry, "He said WHAT!!?? Only a 2.5 for my polished sway bar bushings!!?? How could he... he must be an idiot!! Those were..."

Those judges don't assign scores for the purpose of pissing people off, but it seems that's about the only thing that ever comes from disclosing them. Yeah, yeah, people *say* they want to know their scores so they'll know where to improve for the next show.

OK, I'll make you a deal... we won't tell you your score, but we WILL tell you which areas were ranked lowest and which were ranked highest. So you'll know what that particular judge thought needed more attention, on that particular day. Send me an email, tell me your name and give me a good return email address, and I'll send you a summary like that. Please don't leave requests in this thread, because I honestly don't have time to read much on the forum; please email me at the address below. It'll take a little while, but you probably aren't going to any more big shows this year, so we've got a little time...

Dan Johnsen
[email protected]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTF? How did this go from "Sure, we'll mail your sheet to you." to "We're just going to give you some vague explanation" I guess I don't understand car shows, and thanks to this logic, I guess I never will. I have NEVER entered my car in a "real" show before, I had no idea what to expect. I cleaned up my ride and entered it just to see what would happen. I was told by Adrian on the day of the show, and e-mailed by you later that following week telling me that I would get my score sheet, hoping I could see what I could learn. From what I read on this thread, that isn't the case at all...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you understood that you would receive the raw scores, we apologize for having given you that impression.

I don't know how to say it more clearly, but we'll give you the information that will identify which areas were marked low, so you'll have a good idea of where to improve. We'll even tell you which areas were marked high, so you'll know where your hard work paid off.

I'm sorry if you really believe that what I said equates to, "We're just going to give you some vague explanation," but it was never our intention to give out raw scores.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lance

I was replying in response to the mail Dan posted at 1st about the award trophies. We'll mail them out the moment our 3 man crew is able to get together and devote one weekend to pack'em all up and shipp'em all out during that following week.

From the moment I stepped into the host hotel on Thursday morning at 9am, til the very end of drag racing on Sunday at 4pm, I get approached nonstop with questions about everything you can imagine and then some. And I remember you asking me a thing or two during the event. And YES, I might have told you that you will get your sheet. I might have said it clearly, even. If I did,I really apologize for saying so. And I'm pretty sure that's not the only screw up that I have to swallow from the 3 day event.

Along with the select few that asked, be on the look out for a e-mail from Dan giving you
all of the info and answers you're looking for about your vehicle as far as the car show. Afterwards, if you still have any questions, e-mail Dan and you'll get the answers you're looking for about your vehicle.

E-mails like this can get misunderstood with ease. It's not our intentions or plan to just throw out "vague explinations" on a national digest with thousands of readers. We would not do that to anybody. The nastymails will be "never ending" if that was the case. We apologize because that's not our intentions at all.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>. . . it was never our intention to give out raw scores.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This fact was made perfectly clear to the volunteer judges (such as myself) so that we could move through the day at our own pace, scoring as we saw fit and not worrying about what the other dozen judges were thinking or doing. It's all about consistency, and the only place scores need to be consistent is within a class, and each class had only one judge for that entire class.

Glad to see that I won something besides a door prize, but I know it wasn't in the autocross.
:D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to throw gas on the fire, but I have to. I was there when Adrian said that HuSSker would be able to get his score sheet. Even gave him the info on who to contact. This was an honest mistake. But when he receives an e-mail (not sure who from, and yes I did read it) saying that the score sheet and scores will be mailed out to him, and now this. You guys did a great job down there, and I loved every minute of it. I also understand why you would not want to give out the raw scores. Well now I do. I just can't see not doing what was said was going to be done a few times almost a month ago. :confused:

Mav

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never said I wanted raw scores. I requested a copy of my score sheet the judges used when judging my car. I got the impression it would be mailed to me, because that's what I was told. I also received an e-mail that also said that. Now I'm told I'm not allowed to look at it. I didn't realize it was classified. Sorry.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMav:
I just can't see not doing what was said was going to be done a few times almost a month ago. :confused:
Mav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mav...After the event "for us" it's back to a normal life
For me, a 12hour work shifter and club president and Dan a oncall systems programmer and issca magazine editor trying to get them magazines to you as well
If your name is on the list above, we will mail out your items the moment we have time to do so. Til then, the least we can do is answer all of your questions while we're at work on our computers ;)
As Dan stated in the 1st post, your patients
and understanding is appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HuSSker:
WTF? How did this go from "Sure, we'll mail your sheet to you." to "We're just going to give you some vague explanation" I guess I don't understand car shows, and thanks to this logic, I guess I never will. I have NEVER entered my car in a "real" show before, I had no idea what to expect. I cleaned up my ride and entered it just to see what would happen. I was told by Adrian on the day of the show, and e-mailed by you later that following week telling me that I would get my score sheet, hoping I could see what I could learn. From what I read on this thread, that isn't the case at all...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One reason why I think shows that put so much emphasis on winning awards suck, and honestly one of the reasons why I probably won't go to another national SS show unless it's practically in my backyard. Definately a 100% different way of thinking than the street rod shows my family has been attending for god knows how long.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by threeimpalas:
One reason why I think shows that put so much emphasis on winning awards suck, and honestly one of the reasons why I probably won't go to another national SS show unless it's practically in my backyard. Definately a 100% different way of thinking than the street rod shows my family has been attending for god knows how long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really hate that you feel that way, Mike.
But at the same time, I understand. I really do. The main reason why I choose to have my hands in ImpalaFest is I get a kick out of watching people have a blast. No matter who I bump into, "most of the time", I don't ask "how did you do at the show?" "how did you do at the drags?" or "How did you do at the auto-x?" The main thing that I ask the most is "are u having a good time?" or "is everything ok?" The competition is ok. And I know "issues" will come about. But when it's 3am and I know I have to hit the sack before that long Saturday, I'll look out that hotel window and just look at everybody in the parking lot drinking, talking, and socializing, and exchanging knowledge of our cars. That's what make me wanna help put on ImpalaFest every year. I can only speak for myself when I say, don't give up on us yet.
Most of us are still getting our feet wet when it comes to running a car event. Impala events for the b-body is only 6 years old at the most, when you compare US to a street rod show that's been around for at least 15 years or more. In most cases, street rodders consist of COOL but older attendees that's "been there" "done that" "seen it" "drove it" and "won it". And I hope that ISSCA and the other chartered clubs will still be around 10 years from now and everybody will have your attitude about the national SS events. And "fun" will be the main focus. Continue to give us your input
and try to support the big events when you're able. I'm one of the select few that
come to SS events mainly to keep Crown Royal in my bloodstream and check out tricked out b-bodies like your wagon. Everything else fall under that. Don't throw in the towel yet, we're still learning when it comes to running a big Impala event.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike
Also I agree with you about street rod shows.
I haven't been to a car show that can touch GoodGuys, yet. And the small local rod shows
is the best you can get when it comes to chillin out and enjoy the props that you get
from the crowd, and less focus on winning a trophy.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you guys even replying to the same thread? No one has mentioned anything about "competition" or any "issues" except for the refusal to send score sheets for those who have requested them for the vehicle they own, in the show they entered. I requested my score sheet, as did lovess, and all of a sudden it's assumed everyone is comparing scores. Who in the hell am I going to compare scores with??? My best friend didn't enter his car, and I was the ONLY entry in my class! You guys can make this into whatever you want, I just wanted a score sheet, to use as a barometer to see where I need to work harder. I haven't even washed/driven my car since ImpalaFest, so I could look at the score sheet, and see where improvements need to be made. Oh well, maybe I'll get an chance at another show somewhere else. :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lance
My reply wasn't aimed at you that talked about competition or issues. It was a reply to Mike's note, that's on this same message thread.

I made a mistake at the event.

You got a e-mail from Dan, telling you your low and high marks. And he's telling you ALL that needs to be done in order to do better.
Your low and high marks he's telling you about will help you do better. Not the score numbers on the sheet. They're all<numers> different for each event, with a different judge at each event. And he'll answer ALL of your additional questions if you ask him. You're not just getting answers from a show coordinator. You're getting answers and advice from a show class winner of Super Chevy and other car show events, which is better than the score sheet by a long shot.
Even better, he's willing to answer your questions if you have any. But you have to e-mail him direct. Because he don't have time to check the forum as much as others.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts