Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent heard this sense my parents owned our car, a 1993 caprice, but there is a recall on them. Its with the: SUSPENSION:SINGLE AXLE:REAR:CONTROL ARM

here is the recall:
Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 154214
Manufactured: 04/1990 - 10/1995
Defect Summary:
THE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM CAN CRACK AT THE REAR STABILIZER BAR ATTACHMENT.
Consequence Summary:
THIS CONDITION CAN BE AGGRAVATED BY THE SEVERE DUTY CYCLE OF THESE VEHICLES AND EVENTUALLY CAUSE THE LOWER CONTROL ARM TO FRACTURE COMPLETELY CAUSING A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
Corrective Summary:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND REAR STABILIZER BAR ATTACHMENTS
:eek:
im not sure, but it could also affect the impalas....just thought i let u guys know, we didnt get a call or letter about this!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one's been out since October 95. The problem exists on all B-bodies, but Chevy only did the recall on the 9C1 and 9C6 (Taxi) models.

In Oct 95, GM did a "running change" and started using the newer parts on all the cars being built. MY SS was one of the very first cars (near as I can figure, in the first 100 or so) to come off the line with the redesigned arms, and it was built Oct 7-9, 1995.

If you wish, you can purchase the "kit" specified in the recall for about $35-40 from Dal. The kit includes 2 revised lower arms, and all attachment hardware for such.

That said : the ONLY reason I'd even think about this kit is if you are gonna keep running no rear swaybar or, at most, the stock SS rear bar. If you want something stouter, spend the extra bucks on some aftermarket control arms (all of which are MUCH stronger than the stock arms of either design).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had this recall done on my 'new' 92 Caprice (195,000mi) that I bought for $350. They give you new control arms with long bolts that fit through the top of the arm and hold the sway bar in place. The original bolts which held the sway bar into the bracket were worn to the point that they would have snapped at any time.

Also on my car, was an open ABS campaign...they installed some kind of plug in the ABS brake pressure modulator valve in order to prevent corrosion and fluid leakage.

So, have the dealer run your VIN through the computer, and they SHOULD be able to tell you if your car has any open campaigns on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts