Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 ImpSS with a new starter I put in a month ago. It has been working well. Today I turned on the ignition switch and the dash lights lit up, but when I turned the key, no starter. No clicking. The headlights are strong. The interior lights work. No power to the starter at all. I jiggled the ign. key, I jiggled the steering wheel, I cleaned the trans on the key. No go. I haven't looked at the battery to see if any cables have come loose. It is raining and car is outside. Any ideas. I am guessing the safety switch on the steering column or the ign switch is bad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=251568

I had a very similar issue about 2 weeks ago. Ended up being the battery bolt between the battery and the cable. The bolt I bought was too long even with the spacer. I bought a different bolt and now the cable is tight and doesn't slide around. I would try that first as it is a $2.00 fix.

Also just because it is "new" doesn't mean it "works" Hope its a loose connection and not the start though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my original post, I said I haven't checked the 'battery cables' to see if they were loose. I meant to say: I haven't checked the cables to the starter ( which I just put on) to see if they were loose , because it was raining. I did check the battery cables and they seemed snug and tight and no corrosion. Sorry , I was in a hurry to post this to get some advice. I am visiting my daughter in N.C. and it is rainy and cold-low 40's.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
New new starter or newly rebuilt starter?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a rebuilt starter from Auto Zone. I still don't think it is the starter itself. It maybe my install. I think it is a bad ign. switch or a safety switch. When I turn the ign switch to 'start', the dash lights stay on but I hear no starter crank or no clicking as a bendix sometimes does.

·
Registered
346 Posts
my cables corroded going to starter, giving me the same issue.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Sounds like it is cables to me, but then again every prob is different. If you take the starter off and run it back to AZ they can test it to be sure. Or get yourself one of those remote starter switches.

It connects between the battery and the starter with aligator clips. You use it to turn over the engine when doing testing and has a hand trigger. If the motor cranks then you obviously got a wiring problem between your ignition and starter and let the searching begin but at least you eliminated the starter.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
It is a rebuilt starter from Auto Zone. I still don't think it is the starter itself. It maybe my install. I think it is a bad ign. switch or a safety switch. When I turn the ign switch to 'start', the dash lights stay on but I hear no starter crank or no clicking as a bendix sometimes does.
I vote starter. Is it a coincidence that some other part just happened to fail right after a rebuilt unit was installed? AZ, like everyone else's rebuilds, are of variable quality. Usually, only the bare minimum is done, and then a nice cleanup. It's quite difficult to screwup a starter install, so that is unlikely. It is common to be silent when defective. Easy to remove - have it checked. You can get a new Corvette starter here for $150 delivered:

http://www.motorcityreman.com/deoe101012.html

This is one of the best firms I have ever dealt with. My Corvette starter is not from them, but I and other members have bought their stuff and are very satisfied.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could be a pass key fault and I tried to clean it. I don't have my spare key to try that. I lost it long ago. But that would explain the symptoms I see.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called Sam's Garage Radio Show and Sam M. gave me a way to check to see if it is the neutral safety switch or the starter. Get under the car and put a VOM on the solenoid hot lead and get someone to turn the ign. sw. to start. You should read 12 V+ . If you do, the starter is bad. If you don't it is the neutral safety switch on the side of the trans. Jumper this switch and see if you get 12V+ with the temp. jumper in place. If you do, replace the neutral safety switch.
BTW Sam Mahdavi of Mahdavi Motor Sports in Atlanta has an Impala SS with a twin turbo. Go to Mahdavi Motorsports to see details.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought another rebuilt starter from AZ and would have bought a neutral safety switch but they didn't have one. I spent Sunday afternoon testing the voltage at the starter solenoid and it was good. Meaning the starter prob. bad. I put the new one on and it worked like a champ. Now I have to take the bad one back and get my refund for the 118.oo plus 42.oo core charge.

·
Registered
796 Posts
No offense, but I am an AZ fan for CERTAIN things... I've learned (the HARD way) that reman'd parts is not preferred from them. I've bought starters, alternators, and even compressors. It's not worth the trouble. I've had the most trouble with starters & alternators.

I buy factory installed (OEM) starters and alternators. Grew tired of taking chances with those two items. Glad ya found the issue. ;)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I bought another rebuilt starter from AZ and would have bought a neutral safety switch but they didn't have one. I spent Sunday afternoon testing the voltage at the starter solenoid and it was good. Meaning the starter prob. bad. I put the new one on and it worked like a champ. Now I have to take the bad one back and get my refund for the 118.oo plus 42.oo core charge.
Another rebuilt. Or you you could buy the new Corvette for $150. No further comment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I got another rebuilt AZ but I was out of town for the weekend, very few tools and it was cold in my dau.'s driveway. I was happy at that point to get it running. If I had it to do over again I would buy the brand new Corvette starter or even the orignal replacement starter. Mine lasted 16 years and 271K miles. I have always read here to always use an AC/Delco O2 sensor and maybe we should add starter to that.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yes, I got another rebuilt AZ but I was out of town for the weekend, very few tools and it was cold in my dau.'s driveway. I was happy at that point to get it running. If I had it to do over again I would buy the brand new Corvette starter or even the orignal replacement starter. Mine lasted 16 years and 271K miles. I have always read here to always use an AC/Delco O2 sensor and maybe we should add starter to that.
I know - I read all your previous posts. You made the best of a tough situation - I would have done the same. I meant to appeal to the bigger audience who have better choices. To all: read up on the advantages of the LT1 Corvette starter over stock and realize rebuilds in critical areas are a very risky choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts