Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the results for the LT1's short block are decent... the block needs a hone, the crank needs to be turned and the rods need to be resized. The good news is that the heads are mint.

It's been about 5 years since I last built a motor, and up to this point I'd only done Gen1 smallblock Chevys... so I expected this (machining and labour only) to come to maybe $500-600, using a small discount I receive through the shop I do my work at. This amount would've been about the same as it was 5 or so years ago for similar work on my old Chevys.

Imagine my shock when the bill came back for $2350 :eek: .... Now, this was including the machine work listed above, plus the rebuild kit (rings, bearings, oil pump, gaskets, and two pistons that needed replacing.) I don't see how a rebuild kit could possibly cost $1200+, so I brought it up with the guy who runs the shop I do my work at. He said that he almost guarentees the majority of that price is the machine costs, as the machine shops in this area just randomly jack their prices up whenever they feel like it. He had a similar cost quoted to him recently for a Gen1 smallblock and he was pretty pissed at that too.

So I'm kinda up **** creek on this one. I was expecting about $1000 into the short block to have this thing ready to go, and $2300 for short block alone is way out of my budget. I've already got the cam and some other parts lined up, but now I'm stuck! I'm gonna call around to some other machine shops in town just in case, though as my buddy mentioned, they're all pretty much in bed together so I shouldn't expect much difference.

Anyone in Ontario run into problems like this? Is there a reliable engine shop near London Ontario that might provide better prices?

And now onto my main question... worst case scenerio, if I have to pay this guy, I'd like to find the two pistons and the rebuild kit on my own rather than go with his prices. To my knowledge there's no difference between a regular Gen1 smallblock chevy with a 1-piece rear main, and my LT1--at least in terms of short block rebuild parts. Are there any cheap kits out there for rings/bearings/gaskets??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would be interested in a comment from Chad on this seeings how he has a short block for probably not much more...I pus a post on the 9C1 forum section for him to reply.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed on Chad. If that doesn't pan out try Seifker Automotive in Essex ( just outside of Windsor ). The guys there use to have a real good reputation, but in all honesty I haven't used them myself in about 5 years. Great experience everytime before though. I'll ask around for any other names in the area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while I'm sure his deal would be good, I'd kinda like to stick with my piece... went through a lot of effort to get this short block from Bashar, hauled it all the way up from his place in Michigan, and disassembled it too... would like to see it through if possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
c'mon guys, any other ideas?

I know bearings and rings interchange with old smallblocks, so I'm sure I can gather up those parts... gasket kit would be LT1 specific...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bearings should be the same as gen 1. but the rings are metric for some reason. i got a re ring kit from summit had just about everything i needed in it. you have to give them a call and ask for it. good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No ****? Thanks the for heads up. But correct me if I'm wrong, but the later gen1 SBCs (Vortec) use hypereutectic pistons as well, so would they not be metric too?

Anyway I'm sure rings and bearings won't be expensive... it's this machining cost that's killing me, which is why I'm hoping for an inexpensive rebuild kit to help... anyone else?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It cost me 1000$ (with taxes) for the shortblock here in montreal. it includes:
-Clevite77 main, rod and cam bearings
-New 0.030 oversized hyper. pistons
-All machine work
-Assembly and balancing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
factory cast pistons are expensive so are the 4.00 rings,. it's often cheaper to buy .030 pistons and new rings,. yes the gen 1 hardware is basically the same. i think you are being screwed,
not sure why the rods all need to be re-sized,?
For 2300 cdn i'll sell you the fresh lt1 right out of the 1a2 wagon i have, drop it in and turn the key.
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MTL 9C1 - see now that's more the price I expect, and I don't even need pistons! Maybe I should farm out the work to someone in Quebec or Michigan?

PHANTOM - hehe appreciate the offer but I'd kinda like to stick to this motor, besides, I simply don't HAVE $2300... I only budgeted about $1000 for the short block rebuild. I was hoping to find a couple of pistons myself just scrounging around, used ones... I won't need new ones since I'm not boring the motor....

Can anyone recommend a machine shop near me that would have more reasonable prices??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.