Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.....Im normally only over in the Wagon section but a friend asked me some questions about a 9C1 he is considering buying so I'll pose his questions to Y'all :

am looking for a first car for my 16 yr old son and ran across a 96 9C1 Caprice locally. Guy wants $2700 for it, the car has 120k. He has replaced a bunch of stuff relatively recently (trans in '04, optispark and water pump about the same time + more)

Is that a good deal ??

Are all '96 9C1's LT1's? If not...how can I identify an LT1?

Is there anything particularly troublesome about these cars that I should be aware of?

I like the idea of a larger car for him plus it has 4 wheel discs and dr/pass airbags...so it should be relatively safe (well compared to a civic or something like that.)
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Thanks !!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it is a nice car the price might be OK.
To check for an LT1 and you do neeed to check because the L99 was available you need to look for the 8th VIN digit and it will be "P" for an LT1 or "W" for an L99.

As far as troublesome underneath it is basically the same car as your wagon the tranny is the most troublesome part but others will claim the opti is the very worst thing ever :rolleyes: either way both are dealt with.

It will be a safe car but don't think the discs have anything to do with that GM cheaped out and didn't make a proper proportioning valve for the disc cars and just used the drum one, end result is the car might as well just have front brakes exept in a panic stop when the rear discs actually begin to really work, the "stealth bolt mod" you have probably seem mentioned is the correction for this.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Despite what some Carsalesmen/Uniformed private seller tells you, the 4.3L L-99 is a V-8 and not a V-6 :rolleyes: The Caprices/9c-1's got the 4.3L V-8 in 1994, with the 4.3L V-6's being an option in the 9c-6 (taxi)models only.
Looking at the engine under the hood, the 4.3L L-99 V-8 looks identical to the 5.7L LT-1, as stated the vin would contain a W(4.3L L-99) as opposed to a P(5.7L LT-1).
If the car is un-modified, another way to ID when looking at the rear, the LT-1 cars came with factory dual exhaust where-as the L-99's came with factory single.

Both are great dependable cars when properly maintained, the LT-1 is faster performance wise, but the L-99 isn't a slouch either...
L-99 is better when gas mileage is concerned, but again you get more power for the LT-1..

Just as a heads-up for you, the 9c-1's are likely to have their speed-limiters programmed out of their PCM's where-as a Civilian PCM with rev-limiter inplace tops out at 130-140MPH..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HUH, no V6 in the whale bodies 91-93 was LO3(305) or LO5 (350), 94-96 was L99 or LT1 even taxies. Civilian Caprices RMs and Fleetwoods were 108 speed limiter and the Impala was a 154 speed limiter the 9C1 had a few different speed limiter chopices based on what the rating of the ordered tires was, the highest limiter for them was 147mph but there was a limiter.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go to 9c1.com, you will find a ton of great info, SPID codes. etc., that will be very helpful to you. You will also find some solid info at 9c1.net.
The L99 is not a bad engine and you may be able to get a price break. Good luck!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alan...
My name is Paul and I am new here...I am the one that Alan was asking the question for. The car is a legit LT1 (has "P" in the 8th field on the VIN and has dual exhaust). It also has the G80 3.08 posi. One thing I find strange is that it has cloth front seats and a vinyl rear seat. Is this normal?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Brick B-Body:
The V6 was a taxi only option in '92 and '93.
4.3L V6 LB4 in the '92 & '93 9C6 Taxi

To really ID an LT1, look for the 327 number cast into the sides of the engine block.
Damn that is the first I had ever heard of that.

As far as the 327 on the passenger side of the LT1 block the L99 instead has 588 the numbers are cast and raised and over an inch in height.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by pwm72:
Thanks Alan...
My name is Paul and I am new here...I am the one that Alan was asking the question for. The car is a legit LT1 (has "P" in the 8th field on the VIN and has dual exhaust). It also has the G80 3.08 posi. One thing I find strange is that it has cloth front seats and a vinyl rear seat. Is this normal?
Yes,easy to clean prisoners blood and such :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, cloth fronts/vinyl rear is correct. Prisoners have a tendency to crap/piss/puke/bleed in the back of patrol cars.
My department is all P71's now and they are set up the same way.

LT1 w/ G80 .....sounds like a pretty nice car...especially for a "first car".
What color is it?

Originally posted by pwm72:
Thanks Alan...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy to clean off the evidence :D What!

I didn't say anything

1 - 11 of 11 Posts