Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Callies just told me they have discontinued the 1-piece rear Compstar crankshaft gen 1, gen II SBC.

I'll be going to the Callies Dragonslayer then.

Karl Ellwein

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's always Howard's Racing components.

Chris
Exactly what I was thinking. Howards and Callies are a sort of partners.

I thought of looking at SCAT to supply lower cost crankshafts but I figure lets just keep it in the USA as much as possible.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Dragonslayer FTW

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Or get the good old Eagle. :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Compstar, SCAT, Eagle... all Chinese. Dragonslayer is also Chinese, or Indian, possibly Russian. Who knows. Level of heat treating is the apparent difference between the Compstar and Dragonslayer, with both forged in China or India.

Don't know much about Howards, but they say American made. From what I understand, the Callies Magnum is made in Japan, and heat treated in the USA.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Compstar, SCAT, Eagle... all Chinese. Dragonslayer is also Chinese, or Indian, possibly Russian. Who knows. Level of heat treating is the apparent difference between the Compstar and Dragonslayer, with both forged in China or India.

Don't know much about Howards, but they say American made. From what I understand, the Callies Magnum is made in Japan, and heat treated in the USA.
D*MN!!! Do we make anything at all in the US???

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not even tractors. My John Deere 3720 cab has Made in China stamped all over it. It may be assembled here, but with Chinese parts. Kubotas probably more American.

I think we're screwed.:(

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You can buy any kind of crank you want that is 100% made in the USA. It just depends on how much you want to pay!

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Callies Dragonslayer..... "DragonSlayer crankshafts are made in the U.S.A. for American Racers. With an expanded line of part numbers, the DragonSlayer is rapidly setting the standard by which other Sportsman crankshafts are measured." ($ 950)

The Lunati Sledgehammer ($650)
"They are forged from 4340 non-twist steel, and are 100 percent US-made. " (according to Lunati).

I'm going to look into Lunati cranks.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Karl,

SCAT makes the billet blanks in China and machines them in Santa Monica Ca.

Thats what the SoCal Rep Brian told me.

TAD

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The only ones I know of are LLinati and Bryant that are made in the USA. I'm not saying it has to be a USA crank to be good. I can say the LLinati Pro Crank made it to 1400HP engine power before it bent at the center main. The Bryant is, well as good as you can get and will out live the blocks you could put them in as they are as hard of a crank I have ever seen and have counter weights at the center main which solves all the other small block cranks fail point.

Like was said, how much do you want to pay, what do you really need for the power you want to make. As long as all clearances are checked you can use almost any crank made for most engines and be fine.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
As long as all clearances are checked you can use almost any crank made for most engines and be fine.
I consider that a key issue. Wasn't impresed with the journal dimensions I've checked on forged Eagle material. Though forged in China, supposedly machined/ground here. My recommendation is to regrind (or at least expect to) the forged Eagle, recheck the balance, and you should have a product that will far surpass any NA application requirement and most requirements in general at a reasonable cost. However, this would not include in excess of 1000HP or agressive SC applications that put stress on front snoot.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Gerry, inconsistant dia. from journal to journal and taper.
Granted, we are talking only tenths, but still... Either it is right or it is not!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Gerry, inconsistant dia. from journal to journal and taper.
Granted, we are talking only tenths, but still... Either it is right or it is not!
Same thing with my Eagle crank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts