Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A good number of years ago I purchased a CD that was generated by "BDL inc. Info Engineers. This disc covered 1991-1996 B-Body, parts and illustrations catalog for Caprice/Impala SS/Caprice Wagon. I still have mine and actually refer to it more often then not. I find it just as useful as I do our GM service manuals, sometimes more so. On the "Facebook" Impala Forum a number of people were talking about it and wanted me to make a bunch of copies for them. I explained that the disc is copy righted and that I would not violate another persons hard work and potential income.

Everyone is stating they are no longer in business, still they had to have GMs permission to develop this great piece of work.

Does anyone know if this is still legally produced or who to contact if individuals wanted to purchase a copy?

Many thanks
Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Well Let's See -

You thought enough to ask, so I think you've answered your own question. If 1. only a few copies, and 2. given free, and 3. you can substantiate only for personal use by some friends and family, - then perhaps. But it doesn't sound like ANY of those qualifiers apply.

But this be legal advice and I ain't no lawyar. If you're doing this for profit then pay the expected business expense of hiring an attorney.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You thought enough to ask, so I think you've answered your own question. If 1. only a few copies, and 2. given free, and 3. you can substantiate only for personal use by some friends and family, - then perhaps. But it doesn't sound like ANY of those qualifiers apply.

But this be legal advice and I ain't no lawyar. If you're doing this for profit then pay the expected business expense of hiring an attorney.
Thank you for the advise. I was thinking that a lawyer should be consulted before I was to infringe on another persons creation. I was hoping someone that might have known "who" the individual that created this was. I would have liked to contact the person directly and who knows he might be able to resurrect the CD and make a few more dollars.

Again, thank you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm fairly certain you could make copies and send them FOR FREE to anyone who wanted one. Copyrights are usually to keep people from making a profit on someone else's work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fairly certain you could make copies and send them FOR FREE to anyone who wanted one. Copyrights are usually to keep people from making a profit on someone else's work.
Thanks for the response. I went to the US Government pattern office that covers copyright laws. Copyright protection really never expires and should not be violated in any way shape or form. Even though, like you, I am sure no one would raise hell if someone bootlegged a few copies for friends, however, that would have potential of snowballing and coming back on you. You give it to someone who makes a hundred copies at $25.00 per copy and gets nailed... I am sure he would quickly say where he got the original boot legged copy. So I guess it's better left alone.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Thanks for the response. I went to the US Government pattern office that covers copyright laws. Copyright protection really never expires and should not be violated in any way shape or form. Even though, like you, I am sure no one would raise hell if someone bootlegged a few copies for friends, however, that would have potential of snowballing and coming back on you. You give it to someone who makes a hundred copies at $25.00 per copy and gets nailed... I am sure he would quickly say where he got the original boot legged copy. So I guess it's better left alone.
You have thought this out. I had the same thoughts as you. It must be the critical thinking of Us K9 deputies. Maybe the emissions from our partners have had positive effects.:grin2: Although I'm sure a copy of that CD would be handy to have. I think you're absolutely correct in staying away from even giving copies away. Leave sleeping dogs lie. :wink2:

tcsok9deputy
Mark; Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
A good number of years ago I purchased a CD that was generated by "BDL inc. Info Engineers. This disc covered 1991-1996 B-Body, parts and illustrations catalog for Caprice/Impala SS/Caprice Wagon. I still have mine and actually refer to it more often then not. I find it just as useful as I do our GM service manuals, sometimes more so. On the "Facebook" Impala Forum a number of people were talking about it and wanted me to make a bunch of copies for them. I explained that the disc is copy righted and that I would not violate another persons hard work and potential income.

Everyone is stating they are no longer in business, still they had to have GMs permission to develop this great piece of work.

Does anyone know if this is still legally produced or who to contact if individuals wanted to purchase a copy?

Many thanks
Larry
At one point, it was one the internet somewhere. Not sure where but I ran across it one time.
If you do decide to share your 1.2.2 copy please keep me in mind as I have V1.1
I was waiting on version 1.4 but they pulled the plug on it in March 2003
Thanks, Gerry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts

Many thanks
Larry

I was looking at the second image you put up, in which the maker of the CD states the the GM drawings and information were being included under the "fair use" clause of US copyright law.

So I decided to look up "fair use".

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

I'm not an attorney, but as I read it, the GM drawings and info used in this CD don't even get close to qualifying for the "fair use" exemption.

The GM material included in the CD isn't casually referenced as part of a larger subject, IT IS THE SUBJECT.

So the makers of this CD take GM's work, STEAL IT, and then try to scare you with serial numbers and copyright notices!

The makers of the CD were thoughtful enough to say that any concerns about the use of GM copyrighted material be directed back to them. I guess as opposed to the purchaser of the CD, so people wouldn't be AFRAID to buy it.

That might be why the company that put together the CD isn't around anymore. I sure don't see this company going after anyone for copyright infringement - sort of like why drug dealers never call the police when they get robbed. ;)

If anyone has a copyright infringement case here it would be GM in my opinion, not the maker of the CD.

I can see where it would be a really handy CD to have, and I'm sure that anyone who has a copy appreciates the makers effort.

The problem with this sort of thing isn't with the people who might share this with each other for personal use, as previously mentioned, but with the guy who can't resist trying to sell copies for $25.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
- sort of like why drug dealers never call the police when they get robbed. ;)

Even greater comparison with the fence knowingly "accepting stolen goods".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts