Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have my engine apart I would like to have the injectors taking apart and cleaned/rebuilt. However I can't find the contact info for the company that does it. Anybody have that so I can get the injectors sent out? Also I do not need a loaner set as the Caprice isn't going anywhere for the time being. - Peter

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Probably cheaper to buy a used set. IIRC awhile back I had mine R & R'd at Lingenfelter for $100.00

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've looked into the Ford SVO injectors before, but its been quite a while but I remember they were a hot thing to get a number of years ago. Is there any practical improvement or are they more or less a straight stock replacement as they are the same pressure as the stock injectors are? - Peter

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I've looked into the Ford SVO injectors before, but its been quite a while but I remember they were a hot thing to get a number of years ago. Is there any practical improvement or are they more or less a straight stock replacement as they are the same pressure as the stock injectors are? - Peter
Issues of injectors failing "open" (like the SVO's) or "closed" (like stock) aside, they are an overall better injector. The stuck open or closed issue seems really to be a non-issue as I've yet to even read about the horrors of a fuel starved cylinder harming an engine due to an injector stuck closed. Not to say it doesn't happen. Just haven't heard many/any references to it.

I replaced mine because of systemic fuel system parts replacement when the pump gave out. No real reason to change and the stockers were just fine when I swapped them. That's why i did it FWIW.

24#er's can be a little misleading. Yes, they're the same size as stock, but you have to figure in pressure rating. The stock injector is rated for 43.5 psi. The SVO's are rated for 39 psi. So, the same SVO injector flowing @ 43.5 psi will yield a higher number. The math comes out to close to 26 psi, but if you look at my own actual numbers above, 7 of 8 tested @ 27.9 lbs and the final one @ 28.2. Some say the PCM doesn't need a tune to compensate for this. Some do. I tend to agree more w/ the latter and would like to know more about how to go about doing it via adjusting the fuel constant or what have you. Anyone who's done and is reading this, let me know how! I'm new to the programming game and want to lean towards the safe side until I build up confidence in things.

As for cleaning and testing, I'd strongly recommend it. Although new injectors are generally a safe bet, there have been issues where a wider deviance in flow rate than anticipated has been documented. W/out at least testing them, you can't know for sure. It's a quality assurance operation and well worth the money imho.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
When I did the first search for injectors I searched for 24# and ran across these. I didn't know these were the 26# SVO injectors. From memory you would need to adjust the fuel for these. The main reason for the failed open is for power adders.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the eBay link you gave those are for the 24lb SVO Blue Top Injectors. Are the 26lb ones you mention the ones you bought? - Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts