Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my stainless steel brake lines from inline tube company yesterday and they stick to a magnet very strongly. The fittings stick aggressively too. I’ve never seen stainless steel stick to a magnet like this before. Has anybody ever ordered stainless steel brake lines from in-line tube? Does a magnet stick to them? I emailed the guys and sent them some photos. I also spoke on the phone with a gentleman. He said he’s not sure what type of stainless steel they use. All I know is I’ve never seen stainless steel stick to a magnet like this before. Any stainless steel hardware- bolts and nuts and sheets I’ve purchased have never been magnetic at all. I used to machine 440 stainless back when and it would only get very little magnetism if any from huge magnetic machine tables in the shop. That’s because 440 has some other bits of stuff in it. I am already aware some stainless steels have some magnetic content or whatever in it but never like this. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,815 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received an email back from Inline Tube. This is what it said:

“Good morning,

1. The tube nuts themselves are not stainless
  2. The grade of stainless that the spring wrap is made out of is a magnetic grade of stainless as we need to be able to quickly wrap it without damaging the atomic structure of the metal. I believe this is closer to grade 400
  3. If you are unhappy with the quality of tubing in anyway, I can offer you a refund”
end quote.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
400 ,

Great 409, stainless like our stock exhaust.
Mild steel tube nuts, nice.
Just enough effort to call them stainless lines!

That being said, you are in California, not going to matter.

Put a little smear of neversieze between the tube and nut, call it a day.

Once the whole deal is together, cleaned up, spray a bunch of SEM TRIM CLEAR on it.
It is clear paint that requires no undercoat.
You wont see it but it will protect any raw surfaces

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Exactly, went through that debate few years ago with the 91. Stainless or not. Got mine from classic tube when the fronts finally went too. Tired of the patch jobs in middle of winter. I was like who am I kidding, originals lasted 25yrs. No way car will do another 25. Plain steel it is...

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I ordered 2 sets at the Detroit Autorama (show special prices).
I just checked them and a magnet will stick to the fittings and the 'spring' wire wrap, but not the lines themselves.
No matter what, they will last longer than I will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts