Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i got tires that are worn out fast inside... i had em alignment several times in 2 years when i get new tires for the front... seems alignment dont do sh!t. I got 2 inches lower springs all around so do you all think i need to get rid of the springs that i had on my SS ( think it may be old already 5 or 6 years?) OR do i need to get new front end that i never had done? LMK if i need to throw more specific informations. THanks.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
You either have a problem with toe-out, or camber.

Do you know how to "read" tires? If it has too much toe-out, the tires will have a "feathering" look to the tread away from the worn side. If it is camber, they just wear faster on one side with a relatively even taper to the other.

You can check the camber and toe at home if you have access to some common tools...a short carpenter's level, a protractor, an 8 ft. tape measure, and a 20-24 inch (short enough to fit under the fender) long screwdriver/square metal rod (square metal rod is better).

I can give you instructions on how to check both if you are interested in doing it yourself. The adjustments are pretty simple too, but you may need a shim kit, and probably new nuts for the upper control arms (you are only supposed to use them 2-3 times).

·
Registered
346 Posts
My front tires are bald only on the outer edges, the rest of the tire is fine. Does this sound like an alignment issue?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Similar issue, toe-in or camber. You can check them with the same tools mentioned above.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had this happen to me a few years ago. Paid local tire place like $650 to replace two tie rod ends only for the others to go out a year later. Second time I had another vehicle so I decided to learn something about my car and ended up replacing the entire front end, replacing the control arm bushings, struts, throwing on the c3fab ext rear control arms, and Eibach springs. Now I completely understand why/how each and every component of my suspension/steering works. Now that I know, I'll NEVER EVER have anyone work on a front end issue again because the fact is if you have an issue like this you need to understand WHY even if you're going to pay someone else and unless you crawl understand your car and start pulling and yanking stuff you may just be dumping a lot of cash to turn around and spend a lot more. It's really simple anyway, just nasty work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts