Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted this in the General section and got some advice to post in here (which makes good sense...)

Anyway, here it is:

Well, I think I want to pick up a '95 or '96 B-Body for a daily driver so I can stop putting the miles on the Marauder. It will be a daily driver, winter car, and dog and other stuff hauler so I am thinking of a Wagon.

Any input on which years and models to look for? I am thinking either Caprice Wagon or Buick Roadmaster Wagon. Kind of leaning towards the Buick for the nicer interior. Any options to look for or avoid? I commute about 95 miles round trip 5 days a week. Looking for long term reliability with over the road comfort. Plus, maybe throw a couple of upgrades in along the way.

I know I definitely want an LT1 car and would prefer a limited slip (if available) since it will be driven in the winter. Also, were 4-wheel disc brakes available with the Wagons? If so, what code to look for (if I am looking at cars sight unscene)? I already have the brake bias upgrade parts since I almost got an Impala SS before getting the Marauder.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get a mint wagon and drive the Marauder in the winter!

Okay, you should've known you'd get at least one such comment.
Anyway, if you want limited slip, get the towing package. That'll give you 2.93 gears (good for your long commute) and a mechanical fan (not so good, but can be converted to dual electric fans... there is much info here on the forum for that conversion). Disc brakes were not available on wagons, and aren't real easy to install (you need to do the custom work yourself, as there are no kits available).

Good luck and welcome... I think you'll love whatever B-wagon you end up with!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Wagon Collector:
Get a mint wagon and drive the Marauder in the winter!

Okay, you should've known you'd get at least one such comment.
Anyway, if you want limited slip, get the towing package. That'll give you 2.93 gears (good for your long commute) and a mechanical fan (not so good, but can be converted to dual electric fans... there is much info here on the forum for that conversion). Disc brakes were not available on wagons, and aren't real easy to install (you need to do the custom work yourself, as there are no kits available).

Good luck and welcome... I think you'll love whatever B-wagon you end up with!
Thanks for the input. Yes, I fully expect some comments about the Marauder. It actually came down between the Marauder (with 5,600 miles) or a '96 Impala SS and the Marauder just had more of what I wanted.

Now, for a driver, I am back to the B-Body world - after putting 17,000 miles on the Marauder in 7 months. I have other long term plans for the Marauder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are alot out there but clean low miles are getting harder to find.

At the top of the page you will find a whole list of cars for sale (Ruphrax for sale inventory) and you'll get treated very fairly.

If you like all the options the Roadmaster more than likely would better suit you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'95 and '96 have the bigger side mirrors if that matters to you. I purposely chose a '94 because I wanted the smaller mirrors (I have very narrow garage openings and already broke one of my '96 sedan's mirrors).

If you want leather and/or keyless entry you'll have to get a RMW. Neither of those things were available on Caprice wagons...not sure why.

For some reason, wagons weren't available with limited slip unless they have the tow package. They can have the tow package and NOT have limited slip, but not vice versa, so check the SPID sticker (p-side tailgate opening) for G80 if you want limited slip. That was a very important option for me.

Wagons don't come with a rear sway bar and the front sway bar is smaller than the 9C1/SS, so they're quite a bit floatier. The wagon rearend is wider than the sedan, so the sedan rear swaybar doesn't fit without some modification or extension brackets (which you have to fashion yourself).

Don't be surprised if you end up loving the wagon more than the Marauder.
I've only owned mine for a few months and I'd sooner sell my 45K-mile sedan than my 68K-mile wagon. I can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second wagon collector...

Once you get your wagon where you want it, you'll not be interested in driving the pink Panther.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.