Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 roadie wagon. I installed 2 amps and a 15" sub. when I listen to my music the car becomes sluggish and has no get up.... Actually feels as if the car is gonna shut off.

·
9,190 Posts
disconnect the 4gauge wire and test, just confirm its the system.

the sub might be drawing way to much current from the alt/bat.

you may want to do the big 3 upgrades, and double check all ground

might also want to look into a extra bat or larger alt

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
disconnect the 4gauge wire and test, just confirm its the system.

the sub might be drawing way to much current from the alt/bat.

you may want to do the big 3 upgrades, and double check all ground

might also want to look into a extra bat or larger alt
Yeah I kinda figured that. I need to upgrade the Alt. I have a new battery in there. I'm going to install an capacitor too.

·
9,190 Posts
Yeah I kinda figured that. I need to upgrade the Alt. I have a new battery in there. I'm going to install an capacitor too.
ehh, I always thought caps were a waste of money and time, if your gonna buy a cap, buy another battery and put it in the trunk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ehh, I always thought caps were a waste of money and time, if your gonna buy a cap, buy another battery and put it in the trunk
I thought caps were a good thing. I used them before and see major competitors with them. But I'm definitely installing another battery. But won't it be useless to right now until u get a high output alt?

·
9,190 Posts
for sure start with an alt.

caps can discharge VERY fast, batteries take longer to discharge (low, though considerably higher than a cap, internal resistance)

a 1 Farad 12V capacitor - which is about the size of 30 D-Cell batteries - does not contain as much pure energy as a 9-Volt battery. however it can discharge that energy in a millionth the time if not less

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for sure start with an alt.

caps can discharge VERY fast, batteries take longer to discharge (low, though considerably higher than a cap, internal resistance)

a 1 Farad 12V capacitor - which is about the size of 30 D-Cell batteries - does not contain as much pure energy as a 9-Volt battery. however it can discharge that energy in a millionth the time if not less
Until I get a high output Alt can I still install a 2nd battery on a stock alt? Will 2 batteries kill the alt?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Big three is upgrading all of the cables coming from the battery to a larger gauge.

What size in the amp? The wire size may be something to consider as well. Too small of gauge for the amp can cause all sorts of things. Ground is a big thing as well, if the ground isn't great or not bounded correctly, the amp will try to pull ground from another source and can cause issues as well.

I agree with Wolf as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would do the big 3 upgrade first in 1/0 wire OFC if possible. i would also look into getting another battery for the rear, preferrably a AGM battery (kinetik, xs power, batcap...) Capacitors are a waste of money! If there is still bad voltage drop i would either have your alt rebuilt or just buy a H/O alternator. I run a Dc Power 270xp alt for over 2 years now with no problems. Dc power, Mechman, ohio generator and singer alts are all reputable H/O alt dealers.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
How many watts are the amps combined? The 4 gauge going to them might not be enough. Definitely do big 3, even on a stock vehicle with no mods it'll help stabilize voltage. I would guess the amps are just starving the rest of the power, weak spark etc due to not enough amperage or voltage drop. Gary's battery cables are probably the easiest way to do big 3, but if you have spare wire lying around you can make it yourself. Add an extra or larger battery negative to body and engine, and an extra battery positive to alternator, 4 gauge or larger. Gary's kit replaces all the stock wires with 1/0 gauge.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well now guys my car feels like ****. I cut the radio off so the amps won't be on while i'm driving. The car feel sluggish and slow as hell. I come to a light and the car feels like it don't want to take off. Whats most likely went bad?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
You need to disconnect the amp and power feed to it and see what happens. Something is going on with either the wiring or the amp itself. The headunit will provide the turn on signal, but the amp is still going to get juice, so if there is something internally wrong with it, it will draw everything down.

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
No one has suggested any actual measuring?

1a. Put a voltmeter across the battery while the engine is running and the stereo is off. What voltage does it show?
1b. Turn the stereo on and crank it up. What voltage does it show?

2. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port on the back of the intake manifold. What fuel pressure are you seeing?

·
9,190 Posts
No one has suggested any actual measuring?

1a. Put a voltmeter across the battery while the engine is running and the stereo is off. What voltage does it show?
1b. Turn the stereo on and crank it up. What voltage does it show?

2. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port on the back of the intake manifold. What fuel pressure are you seeing?
its easier to guess :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts