Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT took me two hours just to install some used rear impala springs in the snow on my Roadie today (so much for the saying "raise the car and the springs literally fall out!"). I read the installation procedures but the factory springs just wouldn't move. After a couple dozen scrapes and cuts on my hands, the springs are installed but the roadie actually stands a little higher than with the stock springs. The original springs had 142,000 on them and they are the softer springs.

Does it matter which way the pigtail should be pointing? How do you know if the rear coils are upside down or not?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK...The tags should be on the bottom, and the pigtail at the top should be pointing to the d/side according to the service manual.

The factory springs shoudln't just fall out........ the aftermarket lowering springs will.

Is it a Roadie Wagon?????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a sedan with the FE1 soft ride. I'll have to check tomorrow if I installed them with the tags on the bottom. Will I have a problem driving the car if they ARE upside down? The used impala springs are stiffer and thicker than the stock roadie springs but am a little puzzled as to ride height.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the pigtails are wrapped slightly different, so they may not be seated exactly right.

The SS springs at best, should lower your car approximately 1"........ that's all GM did differently, other than spring rates

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.