Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, We installed the Moog 80090 front springs in my Fleetwood today. I have to say how happy I am with them in just a few hours. The nose heavy D-Body's should have come with them from the factory. If I can attach these pics without getting a tumor it will show how the car sits. Now I have to change the 15 yr old rear 9C1 springs with a fresh set & I'll be completely thrilled. Any info on the Moog cross-ref # would be appreciated. Special thanks to my boy Keith Seunarine & his guys at his shop K-Draulics 104th & Rockaway Blvd by John Adams HS Queens. Also a big thanks to you guys here on the board for sharing information thru your posts & PM's. Uncut springs, a homerun first time at bat. Thank you guys.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
interesting comparison of 2 springs

Recent install & comments on 7268
read almost the same as for 80090's

Spring # 7268
Inside Dia - 4"
Bar Dia - 0.781"
Install Height - 11.27"
Load rate (lbs) - 1888
Spring Rate (Lbs/in.) - 748
Free Height - 13.72"
End Type - One Square End and 1 Tangential End

Spring # 80090
Inside Dia - 4.04"
Bar Dia - 0.781"
Install Height - 11.75"
Load rate (lbs) - 2034
Spring Rate (Lbs/in.) - 710
Free Height - 14.38"
End Type One Square End and 1 Tangential End

Moog spring chart (fixed)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know Bill I used the lesser of the two because I thought it (the 7268) may have been to much. If I followed my gut it would have been fine for the heavier Fleetwood, mine is 4500 before I put my 265lb carcass in it lol.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You know Bill I used the lesser of the two because I thought it (the 7268) may have been to much. If I followed my gut it would have been fine for the heavier Fleetwood, mine is 4500 before I put my 265lb carcass in it lol.
What shocks you go with?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just put on some heavy duty Gabriel Ultras about a month ago. There OK a little floaty. I have some 22's that are going on this weekend or next depending on how lazy I am. After they go on if the ride still has that slight float to it then I have to find some Bilsteins cause the car sits up & it may need that stiffer shock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course you ask its when my whitewalls are dirty as hell,lol. But it measures 28 3/8" to the bottom of the fender moulding. Still not a week yet so I'll also measure 2 weeks form now to see what the settle actually is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Does anyone know if or what the fender height distance would be compared to a caprice?

DA, any chance of getting a ride? I'm in Flushing.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Can you take a measurement from the center of the HUB, to the fender lip? That takes the tire height out of the equation. I would greatly appreciate it. :) I really want a stiffer front spring for my Roadmaster, but I want it to sit higher than a 94 SS(which is what my other RMS has).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey that info wasn't free! Next time you come to NY you gotta stop in Philly & bring up a Hoagie, man. Easy on the hot peppers LOL.....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Just got back from a ride in Don's car. Man, just incredible. That 710 lb springs ride like this. Was expecting a jarring ride like my mustang, but nothing. Pulled out of the lot, talking before I realized, 'hey where's the rough ride?' I thought the SS springs were going to be just a bit too much for me, but after the ride. I'd be happy with these. Car was tight yet smooth. NYC bumps, dips and a blast on the highway. I think we got up to about 75, and it was like nothing. You'd think you're just doing 55. Like he said, this should have been how it came stock. Glad I got the chance before he put the 22's on. I figure that will change the story a little, but maybe, maybe not that much.
Thanks for the ride Don!

PS, you're right the about the front tinted window. I never even realized until you said afterwards. Maybe on a sunny day?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The front springs have settled about 3/8" of a inch. Now with the 6381 rear springs and the 265/35 22's the car went up 1.25" even all around. I bet the Fleetwood could take the 7268 or up to a 850lb spring with no sweat. I have to decide, do I get a better shock or just try a better/stiffer spring in the front. I'm happy with the back, firm flat and not a buckboard with the Gabriel Ultra's. I do plan on getting a H & R ani rollbar to go along with the BMR U/L arms in the car already. So by adding the A/R the back is going to stiffen anyway. The 80100 @ 13.94 Tall, 855 lb/in .812 thick coil with a listed installed height .5 less than what I have know looks like the ticket. I'll be watching the rears to see how much they really settle since I only put them in yesterday. If they go down a half inch I might just blow the bucks on the 80100. Took a shot while getting gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would look mean as hell. I think I will be either trimming the 80090 or getting that 80100 to drop the nose 1". I might also see if I could fit a 285 without hitting the skirt. This is (car thing) is worst than crack lol....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts