Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a search, several people mentioned running Airlift bags for stock springs with Hotchkis lowering springs. Well I have the two together, but I don't see how these bags will ever fit inside. They just seem way to tight. Am I doing something wrong or do I need different bags?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You need different bags. Measure the springs and call up airlift. If you look at the springs you will see they are about an inch shorter then the stock ones and about an inch thinner.

Measure them and call them up. You will need to return your bags to the dealer you bought them from. Airlift has like a 30-60 day no questions asked money back guarentee on them. So that is your best bet. Or sell the bags to someone else nearby that can use them with stock springs.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I called them and the guy seemed to be pretty unsure. I gave them the measurements and he said I need two things, part #60783 and #09447 which is a protector. I guess I'm going to give it a shot. He said he couldn't guarantee anything though.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not install the stock springs with the air bags?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mags94:
Why not install the stock springs with the air bags?
I want the drop and handling of the hotchkis springs, but I also want to be able to jack the rear end up a little to give the car a raked look.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would i be correct to assume it is the same story with sprints? i plan on having a lot of audio in the trunk and want to try and keep it level.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by nineseeone:
would i be correct to assume it is the same story with sprints? i plan on having a lot of audio in the trunk and want to try and keep it level.
What are the measurements on the Sprints? The Hotchkis springs are about 15" long and have an inside diameter of about 4.5".

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They'll fit. I've been running that combo for 2 years with no problems.
Joe

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 2Fasst:
Joe
I don't know what kind of magic you used to fit them in, but they do not fit at all. When I had them inside the spring they were creased because of how much larger they are than the spring.

As far as the Kia Sedona bags, I did read the threads mentioning them, but there doesn't seem to be alot of info on them. The part number I was given by Airlift is listed for Buick/Izuzu/Lincoln/Nissan Car/SUV. I have to make a decision soon so I can ship the current ones back to Summit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I would assume that the Eibach's will have the same problem. I really need some airbags like these on my car, when 2 people get back their the dam car will rub whenever it goes overs bumps on the highway.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uhhhmmm. Does anyone know how to get the wrong bags out of Hotchkis Springs? :rolleyes:

I bought them and popped them in before reading they wouldnt work 2 years ago. I havent really needed them though, and they really dont bother me being of no use in there.

But out of curiousity, I dont see anyway to get them out.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd guess that you'll need to pull a vacuume on them to crush them down enough.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used my Foodsaver vacuum sealer to totally deflate the bags and they slid right out.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by CMoney:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 2Fasst:
Joe
I don't know what kind of magic you used to fit them in, but they do not fit at all. When I had them inside the spring they were creased because of how much larger they are than the spring. </font>[/QUOTE]Hmmm.
I wonder if Hotchkis changed the dimensions of their springs. I got a set when they first came out. I never used these bags in the stock springs, I just ordered 'em for the car and put 'em in the Hotchkis springs when I put the springs on. They fit evenly, no creases or bulges. In fact, they fit just slightly more snug than the same bags do in my DCM, which has stock springs.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would be curious as to what the measurements of your Hotchkis springs are. The may very well be of a different size.

As for my bags, I sent my set back to Summit and in exchange I'm going to get the Kia Sedona bags. The dimensions on those bags appear to be what I need so I am going with them. I'll get some pics once they arrive and I install them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any news yet? I have the same problem and would like to exchange the ones I got for the better fitting ones. Exactly what did you order?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, nothing yet. I ordered part AIR-60763. My QA1's and slotted rotors are coming Monday, so hopefully I get the air springs around the same time so I can get everything put back together and get some pics.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the eibach lowering springs and just installed the airlift 1000's. No problem with the fit and they work great.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my AIR-60763 bags in yesterday and installed them tonight. The fit was absolutely perfect! They install into the Hotchkis springs with ease and the entire installation was a snap. Can't wait to test them out tomorrow at the track.

BTW, I ordered these from Jegs and got them in about 6 working days. Summit and Jegs don't stock them so it's a special order. Jegs had a better price and offered a faster delivery date.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts