Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to make the switch.

Anyone have previous experience that can tell me how to go about it? I have the instructions, but I remember reading about how the kit isn't all that. Perhaps because of the price, but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake that can be avoided.

Otherwise I will follow the instructions.

Cut the steel middle bar, cut two holes in bottom plastic and possibly cut one hole up top if my deck won't fit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got done doing the install myself and I had to cut tho hole up top too. Pretty much what you said. Instructions are short, sweet and precise. I will try and post some pics for you tomorrow. And the only thing wrong that I found was the price. But actually, with all the time you save and the piece for the dash that comes with it, it kinda makes it worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
oh...sorry. Forgot the most important part. When you cut out the piece of dash that has the openings for the radio and ac unit, make sure to use something like a jigsaw. You need to leave some plastic there for glueing the new piece that comes with the kit (again in the instructions).

·
Registered
155 Posts
do not use a jigsaw use a dremel the kits are great very eazy to use and dont use to much glue alittle goes along way just my 2cents

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's the pics of my install...

1. Cut out middle section
2. Notch 2 holes in bottom
3. Cut the vent if needed
4. Re-seal vent
(I used duct tape...lol...for what it was actually made for)
5. Mount

Then you cut out that dash piece, glue the new one in, and it looks like the finished product nutsdeep showed.

Side note...How old is your kit nutsdeep?...just got mine in May and looks a little different for the dash piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
the sterio is loose not tite just test fitting eveything and took a picture it doesnt look like that now good eye though lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
The plastic piece that you have to glue on top, is smooth, and I wanted it to completly match the dash (which is textured), and I hated seeing the glue like Nutsdeep at the top and side, so I used some filler and molded it so it is smooth, and sanded the rest of the dash. I honestly did not like how the plastic piece fit on top, even tho I cut how it was directed. I did not mind, the price was great, considering how much it would cost for an audio shop to do it. I still recomend this kit to anyone who wants a double Din.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The plastic piece that you have to glue on top, is smooth, and I wanted it to completly match the dash (which is textured), and I hated seeing the glue like Nutsdeep at the top and side, so I used some filler and molded it so it is smooth, and sanded the rest of the dash. I honestly did not like how the plastic piece fit on top, even tho I cut how it was directed. I did not mind, the price was great, considering how much it would cost for an audio shop to do it. I still recomend this kit to anyone who wants a double Din.
The piece I got with the kit in May is textured and looks just like the piece I cut out. Give me about a week and my whole dash will be completely done and I'll post pics.

Good god you have to hack into the HVAC plenum?! I didn't have to do that for mine, well I didn't use the Detail Kit either, I have an AVIC-Z2 and I had plenty of room behind it when I made my bracket.
I installed a Kenwood DNX7160. Seemed to me it was larger than most double dins but it's the one I wanted. Some installs shouldn't need to cut much if any. I did overcut just a bit so I had more control over the duct tape. Plus I also wanted it as flush as possible.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

No room for error while cutting out the dash part you take off.

I had wood grain, and cut where I needed to in order to remove it. It was just too much. So I either need a whole new "beauty trim" part, or a whole new dash. :mad:

Whatever, I got the kit for like $20. :p

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
From the pics it looks good K'. after i was done with mine I also felt like I could have done a few things differently. oh well, still one of my best mods. no more moving the screen to get to my vent knobs. ;)

Whatever, I got the kit for like $20. :p
Sukah, I bet you did. :D
was almost gonna be a year ago eh!!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look at the top and bottom real hard...real real hard, sides too.

I'd have to post better pics, but I really don't want to. It def. needs work. I may try wrapping it in a material I have in hopes to fill it a bit better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts