Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been gathering parts for redoing the HVAC in my 94 Caprice wagon. New condenser, hoses, receiver/dryer, compressor etc. In trying to get the compressor out, I ran into an issue in unbolting the rear part and removing it. After trying everything I could think of and what info was in the FSM, I got to this factory suggested "tip";

"If unsuccessful, remove engine mount through-bolt/screw and slightly raise engine for additional clearance" Is there another method?

Also looks like I will need to remove all the lines/hoses from the radiator and external oil cooler to completely remove it before I can get to the condenser.

Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Yes. Take the stud right out of the block. Then after you remove the compressor, remove the rear bracket, and slot the hole to make reinstall easier. I would suggest simply replacing known bad parts rather than firing the parts cannon at it. Is there a hole in the hoses? If no, don't replace. The only things I would change are accumulator (drier), compressor, and orifice tube.

However, it is really easy to remove that engine mount bolt and raise the engine a bit. I've never had to do that for a compressor re/re, however. I just pull the stud.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay,
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't seem to get any tool on the nut for the stud to be removed. I am going to cut down the FSM suggested long reach socket and see if I can get that off of there. As far as removing the engine mount bolt, I may that too.

The reason for changing the condenser is total failure of the compressor. I would think that the tiny tubes in the condenser are going to be clogged with metal.
The new hoses will probably not be used at this point.

Not sure what you mean by "pulling the stud"

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
take the 2- 10mm headed bolts out of the back of the compressor which
hold the bracket on. you can get to bottom bolt with a 10mm wrench from undercar.
and top bolt from top of car if memory serves w/ either 10mm wrench OR socket with swivel and a few extensions.
Once they pop loose, you can usually loosen them the remainder with fingers ;)

Don't need to remove radiator to get to condenser. It should slide out once the plastic rad support
is removed & clamps unscrewed from rad support.

Nab

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Yes. Take the stud right out of the block.

Exactly what I did. The end of the Stud on my car was a E-Torx head but think I just used a Std. 1/4" socket to get it out. the stupid compressor bracket won't slide off the stud enough without hitting the frame. all other options seemed like a major PITA and this was pretty doable and easy to remove stud from block.

More info here and check the link in that post too....

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/12038514-post8.html

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have removed the nut on the stud with a 3/8" drive 9/16" deep socket, universal, extensions, etc, and then remove the stud with a E-tork 1/4" drive socket. Have not slotted the bracket. Just finished this job on my wagon a couple weeks ago. Replaced drier, orifice, and compressor. Flushed the other components with A/C flush solvent.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
FWIW - perfect time to do new spark plugs on pass side

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all

Big thank you to all (JayOldSchool, 4DoorSS, Blue Wail, Ken Hennessy, Grandpaswagon and others referred to here) for your help with my install. It is very much appreciated.

One problem that frustrated the crap out of me was with the stud and bolt for the rear compressor mount. It would not come out with the recommended methods. Finally with vice grips, blood, sweat and swearing I finally got it out of the block. Turns out the stud had been cross threaded in the block making it damn near impossible to get out. I used a triangle file to message the damaged threads and reinstall.

Got the Freon charge put it today and it is now the coldest air I have ever had in that car.

Thank you all for your help

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts