Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, Im in the process of installing my new headers, so far so good. I started with the difficult side, passenger side. Not too bad, all bolts came right off with none of them breaking. I do have one question. What is this hook-up behind the passenger side manifold? Im assuming it's something related to the AIR pump which in that case mine has been deleted.

I plan on tackling the removal of my driver side manifold over the weekend. Should be a lot easier. let me know if you have any questions. All inputs and tips are welcome since this is my first time doing so.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thats the EGR Pipe

Tips = ummmm

Start all the bolts before tighten - especailly the EGR pipe

Give a good bend to the dipstick and ac lines before dropping in header

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats for your EGR, its connected to the back of your intake manifold. You will need the block off plates if you dont have the EGR hook up on your headers

·
Registered
654 Posts
nope thats the egr pipe that goes to the back of the intake manifold. if its been deleted then it should be programmed out of your computer from what i hear. also heard that it will cause problems if not hooked up but im not completely sure. look it up one of the stickies. let me know how the install goes. i just got my set of gen II last friday and will be putting them on in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats for your EGR, its connected to the back of your intake manifold. You will need the block off plates if you dont have the EGR hook up on your headers
Eshaw....isnt that what i just said?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So given my 2 options, should I get block-off plates or try and get a header with EGR hook-up? Looking for easy effective route. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Did you buy the headers new or used? If new you may able to swap for a set with EGR hookups by contacting clear image. If used you are kinda stuck unless you find someone that wants to trade their EGR set for a non EGR set.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I seem to recall retraining and redressing the heatjacketing on the DS oil pan sensor, the PS oil pressure sender and one or more batt cables for added clearance and protection. Maybe there's a tight fit connecting the PS O2 so do it before cinching everything down - not sure if this is right though. Anti-sieze on all fasteners even though I believe they're all S.S. with the kit. Did I have to bend the ABS unit brakelines over a tiny bit? I think I wrapped a close one with some heatshield from AZ. I got real fancy $50 alum/graphite filler gaskets but the flanges were so good I think normal tri-metal sanwich FELPROs would have been fine too.

The install was so painless I don't remember much about it. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After doing some research, I decided to go with the EGR delete. I need to tune my PCM so might as well get rid of all that unneeded crap. Will be buying the block-off plate soon. Thanks for the inputs. BTW the headers are brand spanking new thanks to the last group purchase.:D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Search Ebay for "LT1 EGR block off plates" and use them, mine are great and got em 14.95

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Do you need to smog the car while you're at Travis? You might want to check into that if you're not registered out of state.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you need to smog the car while you're at Travis? You might want to check into that if you're not registered out of state.
My car is registered in FL. The base requires a smog in order to issue a base decal. But my car had all the AIR components removed. I will figure something out to get a decal.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'd heard that they were requiring smogs to get the DOD sticker- that sucks. Print out the TSB for the air pump delete/disable and bring that with you. Good luck with the egr delete.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My friend was just stationed out there, he doesn't think they do visual, only hook up the hoses which actually makes sense. However we are talking about Cali, so who knows. Also he stated that the restrictions for passing are below that of the native Caifornians test.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you continue the install?
Im in the process, I have being caught up with work and homework...but my next step is removing the EGR stuff. I will post more pics as I continue, but it looks like it wont be until mid Nov. Luckily that is not my daily driver.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
finally installed pics

Broke this bad boy, had to gorilla glue it back together...

Bottom view from passenger side, pain in the ass side. No cables touching though. Bent a/c lines slightly to clear them from headers.

Overall install was pretty straight forward, just time consuming since I did it by myself. Took the time to change spark plugs and wires. Got my PCM tuned by PCMFORLESS, now just waiting to get my 3.73 gears and Yukon posi put in.:D Love the headers!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts