Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing my new bmr x-tend arms and a hotchkis rear sway today (( any tips ? ))

Got old sway off and 1 lower arm, so far everything’s pretty frozen, got penetrating oil on everything now

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here I go replying to myself again

Well got all control arms in, what a trip I thought no way are they going to fit

Here is my system (the only way I can possibly see installing them)
  • take all off
  • put all back in at same time installing bolts as they fit (no order)

·
Registered
41 Posts
i just did the same about amonth ago.. UMI externded bars....

The upper bushings on the axle are really tough.. i took one out using a home made bushig extrater tool made from PVC, long bolt, steel plates with bolt hole (got that from an old search when i did the front arm bushings). Putting the new one in was again very hard.... I decided to leave the other old one in.. those busings up top are fairly well pretected from moisture and mine looked good..

That said, I cold not do one side of arms at a time like others suggested becasue of the new extended arms pushing the axel back a bit. I had to remove all 4 arms and hold the axel there with jacks, then start with the top arms. I used a "come-along", manual winch to move the axel into place as i installed each arm...I did this by myself and had used the winch when i did the fronts too....it works really well.... Take your time, don't drop the axel.. :) Release the drive shaft from the axle a the beginning..

I'm sure others have better advise, but my work, worked and the new arms are great... My only complaint is the UMIs moved the axle back 3/4 and now the neutral handling is a little loose... The back end of the car is lower, which looks really good to me and i know that changed the alignment up front (caster or rake). I just hope a new alignment will fix the feel a bit... I am thinking of going in and taking 1/8 out of the extends.... i'm just not up for the fun yet...:). I also have a stock sway bar, don;t have the cash for a hotckhis yet which should help

Goodluck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Control Arm

I am just saying that the second busing looked a whole lot newer than the first bushing after the effort i spent on that first one... :)

Actually, compared to all the bushings i have seen and replaced on my car, those were in the best shape by far... If you have a simple way to extract and press those bushings, i would do it... if you inspect and they look questionable, i would do it... But if you inspect, and they look good, I would not replace them.. You can bolt the new arms to the old bushings.. But of course, this is your decision....

Best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.