Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on putting LEDs into my instrument cluster and i'm trying to figure out how many lights are in my instrument cluster, I believe I have all the warning/indicator lights figured out, but I don't know exactly how many illumination bulbs there are I count a total of 20 bulbs in this picture I found. And going by my factory service manual, I've figured out how many warning/indicator lights there are, and where they go, but there is no mention of how many illumination bulbs there are, or there placement. Hopefully there's somebody here that knows! Thanks for any help! And if anybody knows what the blank holes are for? I'm curious to know if they may add a useful bit of extra light, or other warning/indicator function?? :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Blanks are for icons this model doesn't have like "tailgate ajar",etc,etc...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so those are lights for wagons...awesome! :) Now if I can just get the rest of these figured out, all will be well!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Total lights (20) - warning and signal lamps you have determined = illumination lamps

Wouldn't it?

Since you mentioned FSM - but since you seem to have a 91-93, and I am looking at a 94 FSM which is different....................

but GM FSM follow same section sequence. See section 8A electrical diagnosis. For me it is page 8A -81 -1 Instrument cluster - there are 7 for illumination.

You should be able to determine which are warning lights corresponding to position in cluster display.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, after looking to the page you referenced, something seems to be a bit off still When I count the bulbs in the diagram, minus the Gate Ajar lamp, I only get 18? So, since I want to have the correct colors for all the warning bulbs I have 7 for illumination, 1 blue, 3 green, 6 red, and 2 amber lamps (not counting the 4 in the fluid center) which one am I missing...

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
What about ABS light? Just a thought. Can you place a flashlight behind it to show for sure?

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ABS light is Amber, along with the Service Engine Soon light... "INFL REST", Volts, Temp, Seat Belt, and Oil Pressure Warning, are all Red, Cruise, and turn signals are Green, and High Beam indicator is Blue...Unfortunately I don't have the cluster out, I've never removed it, I was hoping to get everything I need before I take it out. But I might go get one from a junk yard so I can pull all the lights out and see what is what...This is just confusing to me right now I cannot find how there are a total of 20 lights, unless they are counting ones that are added for Wagons, like the Gate Ajar lamp...

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
All of the bulbs are white. The mask has different colors for the idiot lights to shine through.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. :) I will go with the 19 that I have selected, and go from there, hopefully it will be enough. I'll put a picture of my results!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts