Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My intake manifold is leaking and I was wondering if I could clean it up some to get a little more HP out of my car. I have or have access to any porting tools I will need. I dont want to pull the heads so what would you guys suggest I do when Im in there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by ssteven:
My intake manifold is leaking....I dont want to pull the heads so what would you guys suggest I do when Im in there?
Take it off....clean it (gunk and what-not).... put it back on.... with a new gasket, of course...

At this time.... given your mods, porting your intake will at best give you zero gains. At worse, it will hurt performance.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whenever I have parts off, I work them over a little with a file or grinding wheel or die grinder to remove casting flash, rough spots, or other normal byproducts of the manufacturing process. A wire wheel takes off scale and other minor surface defects. Then I like to bead blast them to remove my marks and give a nice satin finish. Does it help anything? Doubtful. Does it look better? Matter of opinion. Does it make me FEEL better? Definitely. I just like the idea of hand working the parts, it makes the car YOURS. No normal mechanic would go to such detail. But I've never been accused of being normal...

If you WANT to do it, do it. If you're trying to get some gains, don't bother.

c.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.