Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas i took my intake manifold off today due to a leak, aside from cleaning gasket and china wall surfaces and throttle body should i attempt to clean the intake? Or anything else before putting back together? Any suggestions are much appreciated, already did tb bypass mod while i have it off, thanks

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
carb cleaner eats some non-metal things, but if you've stripped the intake bare then go ahead. Otherwise slather with throttle body spray inside until it comes clean. Buy 3 spraycans at a chain parts house and you'll have a little spare.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it ok to submerge the intake in degreaser and water to let it soak?

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I think most de-greasers are phosphoric (s#ti maybe also called oxalic) acid, Bleche White, super purple, On-Off, simple green, mag wheel cleaner, s#ti IDK ....) Do your research as they say. I usually dump my stuff in gas or weaker kerosene depending on how much I think the parts can take.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Be careful what you put in or on your aluminum parts. Some degreasers and cleaners will oxidize the aluminum, and it will look terrible after using it. You can use carb cleaner, and a brass or nylon brush to clean the part, and wire brush (on a drill) the outside to give it a nice look. If it is shiny, it will soon take on the normal oxidized look of most aluminum parts, unless you coat it with a clear finish. Clear engine paint is a good coating, and you can cure it off the engine with a heat gun or propane torch. Make sure you do not put a coating on anywhere that needs to conduct electricity (ground).

Reactions: Caddylack

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,519 Posts
Your IAC is attached to the bottom of your throttle body. Take it apart and inspect it. Look what I just found in mine:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used some simple green let it soak for about an hour, took it down to a carwash and used the high pressure soap and water, cleaned the outside pretty good, but inside and bottom side of the intake still has a thin layer of carbon that wont come off

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I used some simple green let it soak for about an hour, took it down to a carwash and used the high pressure soap and water, cleaned the outside pretty good, but inside and bottom side of the intake still has a thin layer of carbon that wont come off
Did you unbolt the IAC?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna do that today, took my throttle body off the intake before i removed my intake so cleaning that separately will let you know what i find, thanks for the heads up on the iac

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Cool. I would just clean out the body with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner or something, and then carefully scuff the sensor with some WD-40 and sandpaper. Don't try to rotate it or push it in or anything.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
^^^this. Do NOT use carb or brake cleaner on a TB
What? Why? Are there some non-metal parts I should know about?

What about my can of "Carburetor & Throttle Body Cleaner"? Can I use that?

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Interesting that they may have finally found a compound capable of use on both. Regular carb cleaner is said to be a big no-no on at least the MAF for some reason.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
and then carefully scuff the sensor with some WD-40 and sandpaper. Don't try to rotate it or push it in or anything.
Please rephrase this statement. I am not sure what you mean.

Interesting that they may have finally found a compound capable of use on both. Regular carb cleaner is said to be a big no-no on at least the MAF for some reason.
Carb cleaner was for uncoated parts. Throttle body cleaner was for coated parts and was more expensive and thought to be less aggressive. No reason you can not use it on carbs, but it usually costs more.

Carb or TB cleaner is not for MAF. There are specific (more expensive) products for MAF only.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
And here I thought I had been doing well to use just TB spray. I have vague memory in the bulletin board days of being told just to use isopropyl and a cue tip to clean the pickups. Of course that was during the descreening craze.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Please rephrase this statement. I am not sure what you mean.
Sometimes people try to rotate or press in the IAC valve/sensor when cleaning it, and this can damage it.

Mine, for example, was so caked with mung that it could not be reinstalled in such condition. Ultimately it needs to be replaced, but I'm just trying to put it off for a bit as I get the car finished. I didn't feel comfortable using carb cleaner or brake cleaner on it, so I chose WD-40, because it's another thing in a can that I own. I squirted some wd-40 on it, scuffed the surface rust away with a small piece of sandpaper, and then wiped the thing down with a cloth. That was my ghetto solution to the problem.

Z09B4U said:
Carb cleaner was for uncoated parts. Throttle body cleaner was for coated parts and was more expensive and thought to be less aggressive. No reason you can not use it on carbs, but it usually costs more.

Carb or TB cleaner is not for MAF. There are specific (more expensive) products for MAF only.
If a throttle body has been removed from the car and all electronic sensors, plastic, etc. have been removed, then I don't see how carb cleaner, or even brake cleaner, is going to harm anything. To be clear, though, I wasn't talking about the throttle body itself in that post. I was specifically referring to the body of the IAC that he removed that had some residue in it and is made of 100% metal.

I would absolutely never use carb cleaner or brake cleaner on an MAF. That's a whole different story.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the IAC valve/sensor
The Idle Air Control is not a sensor.

The PCM has no way of checking the actual position. The four wires are used to control stepper motor coils. The PCM can only move the pintle back or forth. The IAC calibration procedure gets the PCM to force the pintle to each end. Afterwards the PCM goes back to counting steps and hopes the pintle makes the correct movement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts