Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
For cleaning intake manifolds, ask around town for local radiator shops or machine shops and let them clean it. Completely disassemble it before you give it to them, including the bottom plate and all the pipe plugs. That's what I did and it was well worth the money.

EDIT - just make sure that ALL of the cleaning media is out of the intake manifold. When I got it back, it was still full of glass beads. I made them clean it again, then when I got home I cleaned again myself. This is a very quick way to lower the compression of your engine if you don't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I stripped all plastics (iac, and throttle position sensor) plastic plate on top before i doused it in crc tb cleaner, they have mass air flow aerosol specifically to clean the maf, thats what i use, not sure if i am just not using enough tb or carb cleaner on my intake or tb both have a thin layer of carbon on the inside that just wont come clean, tried scrubbing with nylon brush let sit in simple green for an hour still to no avail, thinking its about as clean as they are gonna get without media blasting, also being i did the tb bypass mod, is there any need to use thread sealer on the screws for the top plate , iac ot tps?

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,538 Posts
I stripped all plastics (iac, and throttle position sensor) plastic plate on top before i doused it in crc tb cleaner, they have mass air flow aerosol specifically to clean the maf, thats what i use, not sure if i am just not using enough tb or carb cleaner on my intake or tb both have a thin layer of carbon on the inside that just wont come clean, tried scrubbing with nylon brush let sit in simple green for an hour still to no avail, thinking its about as clean as they are gonna get without media blasting, also being i did the tb bypass mod, is there any need to use thread sealer on the screws for the top plate , iac ot tps?
Easy-Off oven cleaner is your friend, if you aren't scared. You only need to leave the stuff on for a few minutes and that grease will just wipe right off. You absolutely have to wear gloves, unless you want to burn your skin.

You don't "need" thread sealer for those bolts, as none of them will see any real stress. I would certainly use thread sealer if you have some, though.

EDIT: Considering thread sealer is only like $1.99 at Harbor Freight, this would be a good time to buy some. Then you have the bottle for more important bolts in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Awesome will go grab some oven cleaner, should i hit it with anything else or rinse with soapy water to make sure no chemical residue is left before i put everything back together? Got thread sealer so will clean all screws n bolts on tb and intake and use it, does new tb gasket go on dry or should i use rtv on it?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Awesome will go grab some oven cleaner, should i hit it with anything else or rinse with soapy water to make sure no chemical residue is left before i put everything back together? Got thread sealer so will clean all screws n bolts on tb and intake and use it, does new tb gasket go on dry or should i use rtv on it?
Yeah, after wiping off the oven cleaner, I would wipe it down again with something milder. You don't want to leave any oven cleaner residue. You could just splash some gasoline on a rag and use that. Soapy water would also work. Just make sure everything is completely dry before you put it back together.

As BALLSS said, those gaskets should be "dry", in that no RTV is used.

But... My "dry" gaskets still get a very thin film of grease or oil. I just put a dab on my finger and wipe it on. This may or may not make sense. In my head, I like the idea of having a bit of stickiness for extra seal protection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wow, you aint kidding about the oven cleaner "easy off" to say the least....😳, stuff is killer for carbon n grime and grease, thanks again caddy

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah, I was pretty amazed myself at how well that stuff worked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Intake gaskets go on dry or use rtv? Using felpro perma-dry 1284 intake gaskets, also is it ok to leave the intake manifold bolts finger tight for 24 hours before i torq them down?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Intake gaskets go on dry or use rtv? Using felpro perma-dry 1284 intake gaskets
If I remember correctly, I think people sometimes put a thin film of RTV on both sides of the intake gaskets. Most people probably don't.

Obviously you will be using RTV anyway for the front and rear... valley gaskets? Not sure if that's the correct term.

I mentioned previously that I generally use a little bit of grease on my "dry" gaskets. I'm not sure if that would be a good idea on the intake gaskets, just because it may interfere with the adhesion of the RTV in the front and rear. I'm just speculating on that, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Hey fellas finally got my intake back on but there is 1 vacuum line on the passenger side (pic below) that i'm not quite sure where it connects looks to go toward the rear on the intake, any help is appreciated

·
Registered
468 Posts
On the passenger side one vacuum source goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the other is the feed for the climate control sysrem. It goes into the wire harness and through the firewall.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts