Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy says it only has 66k on it but that he cant start it. He says he use to drive it once a month and that he didn't crank it up for 2 months. Then when he went to come and start it up it wouldn't start. So he charged the batt which was bought in 2009 and then it started and he drove it but then when he parked it and let it idle for a minute. It died and then he couldn't start it up again. It has the 5L engine and other then that i dont know why it wont start?

then engine spins and spins at a decent speed but just wont actually catch and start.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
The problem may be the fuel pump. When you turn the ignition on, listen for the hum of the pump for a couple of seconds. If it does not make any noise, it is probably toast.

If you get it cheap enough, buy it. At the right price you can always put another engine in it. Usually the LO3s will work if they have gas and spark. I would not share the information with the seller, because it will give you a better bargaining position, if he can not get it to run. An inop car is worth much less than on that runs. So, if you like the car, and can listen to the startup pump run (and it does not run) make him a really lowball offer. The pump is relatively cheap (get an AC Delco or Delphi) and install it yourself. It might even be out of gas (bad gas will not keep the engine from running...there is no such thing as bad gas anyway. Only gas or no gas).

There are a few other things that will make the engine "not run". The oil pressure switch above the filter will not allow the fuel pump to run if there is not sufficient oil pressure. A bad coil, or a loose coil wire, might be a culprit as well. Beyond that, most issues make the engine run like crap, but it will still start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for this helpful info. I am a veteran diy type of guy and have advanced experience with engine swaps. So hopefully i will be able to nab this for about $700. He originally wanted 1k for it. Mind you the a/c is leaking, windows wont roll up or down, and the radio is out. So is $700 still too much? mind you it has 66k and the interior appears to be a 7.5 out of 10. Plus the body doesnt have a ding in it PERIOD!!!!
So opinions on offering him money plz.

·
Registered
362 Posts
thank you for this helpful info. I am a veteran diy type of guy and have advanced experience with engine swaps. So hopefully i will be able to nab this for about $700. He originally wanted 1k for it. Mind you the a/c is leaking, windows wont roll up or down, and the radio is out. So is $700 still too much? mind you it has 66k and the interior appears to be a 7.5 out of 10. Plus the body doesnt have a ding in it PERIOD!!!!
So opinions on offering him money plz.
If you want to pay 700 I would probably offer something in the range of $500 to start with. Let him paly you up to 700. That way he feels like he got a deal... or maybe he will take 500 haha. If you are handy with a wrench this sounds like a good buy to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts