Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own as you know, a '95 Caprice 9C1. Obviously having driven it for a little while I can tell the car obviously has alot of pick up and go. My 87 Caprice can barely compete. (although the 87 imo needs to be gone over)

Now on the other hand...

I also own a '73 Pontiac Catalina with the 400ci motor. At the moment, she's only got the stock 2bbl carb. and stock manafold... but come this spring time, we're putting in an Edelbrock performer manifold and Edelbrock 4bbl Q-Jet. The car has already been fitted with duel exhaust, and custom rear suspension. The front is being rebuilt with heavy duty/variable rate springs, gas shocks, new upper and lower control arms, and polyurithane bushings. We may also rip out all the emissions junk, and do a minor rebuild/clean up/detail the engine itself. I can tell you one thing for sure... even with that wimpy ass 2bbl in there, the car's got plenty of pick up. Enough that I might even go out on a limb and say even stock it's got enough to give the LT1 a run for it's money.

The Caprice this spring time, may get some minor performance upgrades such as freeing up the intake by replacing the home plate with the hockey puck, and putting the S-Pipe in place of first base. Or something along those lines. Detail the engine of course, and stick some eye candy on the car. (Yeah not much at all :\)

Here's the educated guess for you all:
Which do you think would have a better chance on the strip? A mostly stock 95 9C1, or a moderatly modified 73 Catalina?

@

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Assuming both have same traction limitations...

The LT1 wins every time.

With the 2bbl, the 400 will fall on its ass by 3000 RPM.

I like old iron, but my LT1 RMS will walk my 327 Chevelle every day of the week.

Of course, I have no time or dyno slips for either, just the "dual cheek" stopwatch so I could be way off.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps with the 2bbl, but remember, I'm putting in a 4bbl Q-Jet Edelbrock Performer in this spring, along with Edelbrock Performer intake Manifold. Not to mention taking out most of the Emissions junk that bogs down the engine.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I'm really taking a SWAG, but I bet the LT1 still walks the 4bbl Catalina. Unless it's a RA-IV, those old Pontiac heads and cam suck.

That is a bitchin' car, though! And anybody willing to use a Q-jet is OK with me - I put one on the 327 in place of the 2bbl a few years back.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, those small primarys with the hugh-jazz secondaries is just fun to hear in action. With vacuum secondaries I love it when you slam the gas down cuz it sort of dies out a bit when the vacuum's buildin' up and your friend's like "Heh your car died" then the secondaries kick in and it's like "VROOOOOOOOOM!" and they're just like "OH DUDE HOLY SH*T!"

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank'ya much sir! It'll be even better when I get the front worked on. It'll probably be the same height though. In any case, it's definetly got that Muscle Car hitch to it. Best part about the car though? Most people never expect to be taken by a luxury car

Although it has come along way... this is what the stance was like when I first got it:

and the muffler dragged across the ground too

I need to take more updated pictures though. I got a set of BFGoodrich Radial T/A's for it, and they look bitchin' sweet.

One Ugly Mugshot:

What the competition sees:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 9C1 will take the Catalina. I've got a '75 Grandville Brougham conv (26K) w/455, duals, 3.23 posi, & a '01 Eldo conv w/Northstar, 3.71 gears. My wagon, at 4550 lbs (w/o me) is the same weight as my Pontiac & 500 lbs heavier than the Eldo, and it will clean house (mild mods - listed on home-page, but essentially: intake, exhaust, computer, suspension, 3.73's, & valvetrain. Wagon is good for 14.5, Pontiac - estimated 15.0 (based on a buddy runnin' a '76 Catalina w/'74 455 & 2.93 posi) I'm not keen on racin' a 30yr-old car w/26K, & 15.4 for Eldo (Car&Driver).

If your Catalina was a 455-4, had at least 3.23's w/posi, then it would likely be a tie w/stock 9C1 (15sec).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by The Reconditioner:
The 9C1 will take the Catalina. I've got a '75 Grandville Brougham conv (26K) w/455, duals, 3.23 posi, & a '01 Eldo conv w/Northstar, 3.71 gears. My wagon, at 4550 lbs (w/o me) is the same weight as my Pontiac & 500 lbs heavier than the Eldo, and it will clean house (mild mods - listed on home-page, but essentially: intake, exhaust, computer, suspension, 3.73's, & valvetrain. Wagon is good for 14.5, Pontiac - estimated 15.0 (based on a buddy runnin' a '76 Catalina w/'74 455 & 2.93 posi) I'm not keen on racin' a 30yr-old car w/26K, & 15.4 for Eldo (Car&Driver).

If your Catalina was a 455-4, had at least 3.23's w/posi, then it would likely be a tie w/stock 9C1 (15sec).
Looks like I'll have my work ahead of me then as far as getting my Catalina up to speed

Maybe with new heads, a port & polish job, increase the bore/stroke as much as I can I can squeeze alot of power out of that bad boy.

If I had the money I could always change the intake system as well to Fuel Injecton or something fancy like that... but alas, I do not :(

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gomer,I am using a performer intake and600 cfm edlbrock carb,with their cam in my 351W.I also installed a MSD "barefoot' dist..I am basiclly very happy with the set up.I could not get elderbrock on the phone at all tho,MSD.answered my ?s about their stuff as well aboot the elderbrok items.It felt real good slidin that pretty red an alum. dist.with my choice of advance into place.good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts