Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'93 Roadmaster wagon, the interior blower motor was cutting in and out. It would stop running. Close the passenger door and the fan would run again. Or bang the lower dash hard and it would start.

Where/how is the best way to access the plug to the fan on the heater box?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Remove the panel under the glove box, the upper seatbelt anchor, the upper B pillar trim (pull out at the bottom, and then down, or you will break the upper clip, and it will not reinstall securely), the sill plate, and the kick panel. The sill and A pillar interlock, so you may have to remove the A pillar trim to get the sill plate loose. You can put the sill plate back in place while you are working on the fan. You need a 7mm socket for the fan. You will also have to move a lot of wires out of the way, but the fan will come out without disconnecting anything else.

You have to open front and rear doors to pull the upper B pillar trim. Be careful with the sill plate. It is weak at the seatbelt bezel. The sill plate is one piece from the A pillar to the C pillar. You can bend it to some extent, but it can break, and usually at the seat belt, in front of the B pillar.

I modded my sill plate with another one, and made a separate front piece shaped like the 94-96 version. Depending on the color of your interior, you may be able to get a ruby red or dark tan set from a 94. If you have DSB, camel, or DMR, you have to make the mod from spares. The sill is the same shape on wagons and sedans.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you say the motor is shot? When it runs, it runs fine with no extra noise. Speeds were fine as well.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
The issue is the brushes, not the bearings. The brushes wear until the springs no longer have enough pressure to hold them against the commutator, or they get so short that they are no longer held in alignment with the commutator. There may also be buildup of brush or commutator material on the brush holders that does not allow them to move freely. A sharp rap or bump may move the brushes enough for the motor to run for a period of time. The motor is not rebuildable. I had one that acted the same way...just get another one, and put it in.

If you get an aftermarket unit, put a 3/8 (approximate) inch seal on the bottom of the intake opening, so that the fan makes a better seal, and your airflow will be much higher. A stick on foam would work, but I do not know how long the adhesive will last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts