Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan started making a lot of noise today. If I turn up the speed it goes away but at lower speeds it is a high pitched squeal.

What needs replacing now and how hard is it going to be? :eek:

· Registered
880 Posts
LOL. Sounds like something screaming and whimpering in the dash, doesn't it? ;)

It's just the blower motor, should be like 30-40 bucks at Autozone. Easy to change!

· Registered
148 Posts
Right under the passenger side of the dash bolted into that a/c box. I think it's three 10mm bolts. Easy swap.

· Registered
6,932 Posts
Yah 15 minutes tops for the whole swap. I just had to clean another mousenest outta mine recently.

That's the 4th time now since new. At least this last time there was no chewed up pieces and therehence no bad smell to clean up. cwm3

· Registered
531 Posts
...or

Mine made a crazy sound with the same symptoms (way lower when I turned it on high) a couple years back. I pulled it out and there was a square piece of Styrofoam that had feel from who knows where and was apparently spinning around in there.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the motor with one from Joel.

All better now!

· Registered
6,932 Posts
... there was a square piece of Styrofoam from who knows where and was apparently spinning around in there.
Yup, exactly the same thing when I changed out a dead fan on the Cady a few years ago. A nice clean square block of white styrofoam. No indentations or other marks to show what OEM purpose it ever had. A headscratcher for sure.

· Registered
574 Posts
They are good about sucking stuff out of the glove box. If the weather isn't too hot, pull the blower motor first and verify you don't have junk rattling around in the blower squirrel cage.

You probably need a motor, though.

· Registered
440 Posts
shot mine clean with shop air, then soaked it in PB Blaster for a week.. my interior doesn't REEK (so much) of burnt electrical components/PB blaster anymore.. and the fan is more powerful then EVAR!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.