Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the interior lights don't come on when any door opens. Checked the fusses & they all look good. I can activate the lights with the dial by the head light switch & they will come on & i can turn them off. When I drive though the interior lights come on then but they stay on unless I mess with the headlight switch or active my left or right signal. The signal has to make the tick sound first then the lights will turn off but eventually they will turn back on by their self again. Also my seatbelt light sometimes comes on when I mess with the headlight switch weather or not I have my seatbelt actually on or not.
I already changed & inspected the green box under the dash but that's all I have done. I don't know what else it can be or if the 3 black fuses next to the green box have anything to do with it. Any suggestions please and thank you

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Pull the door pin switches and make sure the wires are still attached, the dome lights are activated by grounding the circuit and if the wire came off a switch then the door opening won't activate the lights but if the wire is dangling loosely in the A pillar and makes contact with ground then the lights will come on.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull the door pin switches and make sure the wires are still attached, the dome lights are activated by grounding the circuit and if the wire came off a switch then the door opening won't activate the lights but if the wire is dangling loosely in the A pillar and makes contact with ground then the lights will come on.
I'll check the door switches on Tuesday & I'll post my findings after. Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
So the interior lights don't come on when any door opens. Checked the fusses & they all look good. I can activate the lights with the dial by the head light switch & they will come on & i can turn them off. When I drive though the interior lights come on then but they stay on unless I mess with the headlight switch or active my left or right signal. The signal has to make the tick sound first then the lights will turn off but eventually they will turn back on by their self again. Also my seatbelt light sometimes comes on when I mess with the headlight switch weather or not I have my seatbelt actually on or not.
I already changed & inspected the green box under the dash but that's all I have done. I don't know what else it can be or if the 3 black fuses next to the green box have anything to do with it. Any suggestions please and thank you
Awkward enough my lights come on when I move in my driver seat

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the fuse for the interior lights looks good. Someone at work told me just replace it anyways so I did, lights worked right away & my chime works now too. if my headlights are on or key in the ignition with door open the chime works as well. Turns out you can't trust all fuses.
The problem I'm having now is that the lights just stay on all the time. I checked all the door plungers and they're all connected. The chime box (green box) works i have 2 of them tested both & cleaned both. The black relay underneath the chime box works. I tested it by simply switching the ones next to it & seeing if the relay was bad but it seems fine. With the fuse removed, i used the dial by the headlight switch to activate the interior lights & it works fine like it should.
How do I test the door switches? I have a multimeter & a 12v light tester. I tried using the 12v light tester on the door switch wires but I'm not sure if it's working or not. (I grounded the tester so I know it should works. I used it on active fuses by the door panel & the light on the tester activated.)

Please help. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.