Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to defrost my car and after I cranked it the interior lights wouldn't go out. All the doors were closed and the switch was off. I tried with the engine on, off, running, etc but couldn't ever get the lights to switch off. I figured I would just pull the fuse but while I was inside trying to figure which fuse it was the problem fixed itself. Anyone else had this problem? Which fuse does the interior lights? Could the cold weather have gotten some ice on the connector and made the car think the door was open? Or have electrical gremlins just possessed my car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the same problem about a year ago...

Someone can help with the technical wording but it is the door switch on the side....
look on the inside of the door jam between the hinges and there is a "switch", when the door opens the lights come on. I had to replace my passenger side and the problem went away... I think it was a couple of dollars from Dal.. takes about 10min

Hope it helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had something similar happen to me. My positive battery post was corroding and the contact between the post and battery was barely touching. I drove home, at night, with all the interior lights on. I got interesting looks to say the least. See if the terminal is loose.

Probably not the solution, but you're not alone.

Hope that helps.
-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the same problem, I replaced the door plunger switch for the door, same thing lights still would not go off. Pulled the switch out taped the wires, and drove it like that for about a week, finshed putting the interior back in tried it again and it has worked right since then. Has happened twice to me both times, I had pulled the interior out of the car. I believe someone told me that the wire for the switch is in a group that runs along the drivers side of the floor pan and comes out of the firewall and down right around most of us put our left foot, and maybe have broken that wire causing a short. Good Luck! Hope this will help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grr, it happened again today but it can't be the snow because it's 50 degrees. I checked the door switch on the drivers door. Nothing appears out of the ordinary on it. Even after I disconnected the quick-connectors the lights stay on. I finally pulled the fuse and that seems to be a temp fix. I checked the battery cables and just a cursery glance showed them to be ok and tight. I have to get ready for work so I didn't have time to take them off and inspect them. Why would a loose battery cable make the lights stay on?

Any idea how long the lights can stay on before the battery goes flat?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this problem too, but then I discovered it was a feature on my alarm :rolleyes:. The lights come on for about 30 seconds when I disarm it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.