Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a complete running driving 95 fleetwood for the dash pad....lol. The rest of the black interior is super nice as well with the exception of the driver seat back.

Thinking about swapping entire interior into the other car with blue interior. Does the dash board itself come out fairly easily? Swap steering wheels or entire column? I would have to dye the blue headliner black as the black car has a sunroof.

So the white car would have a black interior, and the black car would have a blue interior. Black car is a winter beater, so don't care that it would look terrible with blue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, will I be able to get the headliner out of the car? On my f350 crew cab it had to go through the back window.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First dash took a while to remove. Second dash was probably 30 minutes.

Reinstall tomorrow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue interior dont clash as bad as I thought it would! Still have to swap columns and door panels.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Also, will I be able to get the headliner out of the car? On my f350 crew cab it had to go through the back window.
I replaced mine with 1 from a donor car. However, this was on a Caprice so it may be different in the FW.

Remove all pieces like visors, coat hooks, dome light, 2 push pins in the back and it should drop out. To remove HL from car...IIRC, you drop the driver front corner down, then Spin that corner out the passenger side front door so that this corner is at the front of the passenger side door and pull the HL panel out this door.....hope that makes sense. It may help to have the passenger seat removed or at least recline the seat back.

Instead of dyeing the material, why not replace the entire fabric with something that matches.....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232979&highlight=Diy+headliner

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced mine with 1 from a donor car. However, this was on a Caprice so it may be different in the FW.

Remove all pieces like visors, coat hooks, dome light, 2 push pins in the back and it should drop out. To remove HL from car...IIRC, you drop the driver front corner down, then Spin that corner out the passenger side front door so that this corner is at the front of the passenger side door and pull the HL panel out this door.....hope that makes sense. It may help to have the passenger seat removed or at least recline the seat back.

Instead of dyeing the material, why not replace the entire fabric with something that matches.....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232979&
highlight=Diy+headliner
OK, cool. The complete interior is removed so hopefully it comes out pretty easy. I am going to see what it looks like with a couple cans of interior dye. If it looks like crap, I will recover it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
If you swap the whole steering column you need to worry about the VATS unless you got lucky and both cars have the same resistance value (not that likely). Now if you swap the lock cylinders over to use the same key as before you will be okay.

Another option is defeat the VATS with resistors at the base of the column (what I did). About $1.00 worth of parts and 20 minutes. Write ups on how to on this forum and others. just splicing the resistor in to fool the computer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I will just do the resistor thing. But was also wondering if I swapped columns and theft deterrent modules? Thats what the box is in front of the third brake light?

I will check resistance on the keys.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
You could defeat the VATS as was suggested. Or....

I wanted to keep it when I swapped over my 95 column to a 96 impala column. Of course the old and new key had different values. :(. Just checked the resistance of my old key, then got a blank key to match the value of the new key and had them cut the key for the new column. Ez PZ

Btw - your new seats look GREAT!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, cool thanks. Does swapping the theft module do the same thing? Not sure how the ignition cylinder comes into play.

Thanks for the compliment, but the black car is the beater. I bought it just for the white car that had the blue interior. I haven't put the black interior in yet, trying to find someone to weld an 8 pt in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, cool thanks. Does swapping the theft module do the same thing? Not sure how the ignition cylinder comes into play.

Thanks for the compliment, but the black car is the beater. I bought it just for the white car that had the blue interior. I haven't put the black interior in yet, trying to find someone to weld an 8 pt in.
Just tested the keys resistance. Have 2 keys for each car.

Black car is #9, about 3060 on each key.

Both white car keys don't register anything. Like the leads are not touching. Touch the leads together and i get 8 or 9. They both start the car fine.

Whats up with that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts