Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my intermediate shaft out in 2 sections, but I can't get out the plastic shroud. What's the trick to getting out the plastic shroud? It's stuck by the brake lines, and control arm bolt.

My plan is to load the intermediate shaft with grease, and bolt the factory shaft back in, 100% oem looking with the shroud.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
It hooks over the rear PS line. Rotate it away from you about 90 deg. and it should come out easily. My question is how did you get the lower shaft out with the plastic shroud in place?

Reread your post. Sometimes it can get tangled up in there. I forget how to maneuver the shroud, because I no longer have it on my cars, or I have an abbreviated piece of it. It is there to keep random parts from wrapping around the shaft, and to protect the rag joint from getting fluids on it.

I made a shaft from a couple of universal joints I got on ebay for about $35 each, and a couple of cut up stock shafts. No need for a plastic shroud. You can swap the universals to have it face either way. There are long setscrews on both universals to go through holes drilled in the shaft. Top is 1 inch D tube to 3/4 inch D tube, bottom is 3/4 inch D tube to matching splines (3/4" 30sp?). Short piece of D solid (inner) on the bottom through bolted to the D tube. Measure the length with the inner D solid rod at the telltale mark at the top of the outer D tube. Remember to put the leaf spring back in for tension.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do know about the after market solutions.. My plan is just to repack the OEM shaft with grease. I just can't get the plastic shroud out. The shaft came out in 2 different sections, 1 from up top, the other from below. But the plastic piece is just not coming out. There is no room between the brake lines, and the ABS unit, or the control arm bolt..

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
You can bend the brake lines a little. It may come out from the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts