Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking of installing an Ipad in the ss. Anyone done it or thinking about doing it? any ideas

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mine will be finished by Christmas. Would be sooner but I have a tour to do. Ive got it all planned out, just have to find the time.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
It would kick ass to have it control the HVAC too! :cool:

·
Registered
530 Posts
There are many other Tablet computers coming along that are smaller and have a lot to offer. It does look kool, however. I totally dig that build!

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
It would kick ass to have it control the HVAC too! :cool:
This guy on the G8 forum had a video of it running his HVAC, but it's gone now. Looks like he moved the control above the dash now? There is another guy that sells the HVAC control kit mounted on top of the dash.

Watch his iPad screen when starts the car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
This guy on the G8 forum had a video of it running his HVAC, but it's gone now. Looks like he moved the control above the dash now? There is another guy that sells the HVAC control kit mounted on top of the dash.

Watch his iPad screen when starts the car.
That is sick. Don't happen to know how he did it?

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Go through all his videos he may have something better.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I must say, his set-up is like nothing I have ever seen! Plus I luv those G8's They are some sick rides.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sweet!! I wish I could use this in a Ford Fiesta! Lmao.... This is Fishman's Expedition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been working on mine to replace the monitor i had in before. Its in its works, but the alpine deck i have dosnt support ipad only Ipod. so i cant use the bottom connector to play i have to use aux function and the earphone jack. Didnt know there was that much of a difference, and it only trickle charges too. so im in the process of hardwiring plugs into the car. Until they figure out something or i do. :mad: **** mind you this is not complete it is mounted but still a work in progress*****

·
Registered
530 Posts
It looks like a good "all most" fit. I would only consider it if it could be easily removed for security. Now why would you want it to work with your existing deck anyways? Just as a monitor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Coffee I like my deck, snd IMO it looks nice to me with both. I don't smoke so I don't need a tray so why not fill it. The deck also eq's so I get even better sound. I also like the factory look too, so that's why I want to keep it in. I would really have to rip into the dash to get it in and out,and loose the ac vents ect. I'm still trying to find insulation for it so when the ac is blowing away this Hawaiian heat the iPad dosnt get moisture inside. This is way harder than the 10.4 I had in my 96. (Like audioman)It was just drill the brackets in, wire it up and bam. Audio spot did the rest. This, I have to shave cut holes for the power button reroute stuff mod stuff......lol it's all good though. It's going to real nice when I'm done.

@lbs that looks nice. That ought to be something special when you get through.

I'm open to ideas. So let me know something. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. The keeping it charged is a mofo it will not charge on nothing other than a house charger...smh

·
Registered
18 Posts
@lbs I would love to put my controller in the head liner, but it looks way too bulky. So the good old glove box is gonna do. I have bench seats so I can't do the console. That thing looks really nice and original, but I love my bench seats...lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wtf?!?!?!

There's a G8 forum?

·
Registered
12 Posts
May-be doing it like up and down the way you dock it would work better but I know all the apps will work right. This would be a better fit less of the dash to cut up and can just put the dock there splice the 30 pin wire to get power and use the aux jack to get sound.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i still havent lay my finger on an ipad. smh. if i did the dam paintjob would be on HOLD till i finish this. lol

here's some idea. slit the top part of the dash carefully so that the ipad could slide down into the dash. your going to want to make a pull strap that attach to the ipad and a flat piece of rubber to help cover the hole.

·
Registered
976 Posts
For the price of a good DVD head unit you can buy an ipad that does so much more so i plan on getting one when the price finally starts to fall. I want a 3g though to play streaming music/movies while driving

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
heres another option

1 - 20 of 67 Posts