Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car does not get driven much in stop and go traffic. It does some, but most of the time its just being trailored to the track. Also, i change my oil pretty frequently. If i run a synthetic oil after break in, is there really any need for an oil cooler on a performance engine? It seems like all that extra traveling through the oil lines and cooler would make cold startups harder on the engine, or am i not seeing this correctly.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I don't see the need for an oil cooler in stop and go traffic. Low engine rpms will cause the oil pump to rotate slower not heating up oil as much. It is only a problem when the coolant gets hot (like with the stock program) and heats up oil.

Oil coolers are necessary for road racing (high rpms) and towing due to extra load on the car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i removed it on a astro van i had did not change any thing and i saved money by not replacing the leaky oil cooler lines

·
Premium Member
8,528 Posts
I deleted mine. Removal gets a little higher oil pressure which is good.

If you're not road racing and towing, pull it off.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I have a couple LT1 vette offset oil filter adapters if anyone needs for $60 each
which allows you to delete the oil cooler and still have room for headers.
It uses the same AC PF52 oil filter and locates it the same place as stock.
email me: [email protected]

-Nab

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a couple LT1 vette offset oil filter adapters if anyone needs for $60 each
which allows you to delete the oil cooler and still have room for headers.
It uses the same AC PF52 oil filter and locates it the same place as stock.
email me: [email protected]

-Nab

I just got the regular 15 dollar SBC adaptor and use a screw on filter straight to the block. Has plenty of room with CIA Quad 1 headers. Will other headers not fit with it screwed straight to the block?

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
not needed on most mild setups. I found with 180* T-stat it would take extended 80mph driving with 3.73s to hit peak oil temps of 250* at least reported at the filter..

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I just got the regular 15 dollar SBC adaptor and use a screw on filter straight to the block. Has plenty of room with CIA Quad 1 headers. Will other headers not fit with it screwed straight to the block?

That's my set-up also. For drag racing, the cooler delete is perferred as we do want to keep the oil hot, even though we cool the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.