Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on this caddy that I don't own yet. It's got these 20's that I don't have any interest in.

I was wondering if anybody on here had - or has pics of a 94-6 FW that's rollin on old school CADDY hubcaps. I've seen some from the 50's through the 70's that I thought would be worth a shot. Not one year in particular, just various ones I have seen throught my life at car shows and whatnot.

Anyways, I was figuring on dumping those 20's in favor of something cheapish - like 15's and was wondering if anybody else had pics of this idea, since I'm sure it's not a new one.

You guys know what I'm talking about, right?

Anyways, I'm the suck at photoshop, so even if somebody could try that and put a good looking set on a black caddy for me, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks guys,
J

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have seen several 1993 Fleetwoods that came with the locking wire wheel covers:

These are the wire covers that came on the 1987-1993 Fleetwoods for 15 inch wheels.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I wasn't really thinking about wires. I was thinking something along the lines of solid, old, yet classy looking - yet could be easily - VERY EASILY kept clean.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by BewbZowt ( + Y + ):
Thanks, but I wasn't really thinking about wires. I was thinking something along the lines of solid, old, yet classy looking - yet could be easily - VERY EASILY kept clean.
Ralph did that with his, steels and older Cadillac hubaps, in conjunction with wider 15" tires.

When he had them on his black one:

And then on the green one:

Something similar, but with OEM-like tires that are a little taller or have a whitewall or plain blackwall would look great--and still OEM.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I had mine to do over, I'd use the repro '53 Cadillac wire wheels on wide whitewall radials. I was afraid of it being too "pimp", but hell, I get all those jokes anyway, so what's the difference. I'd like it better--except for keeping them clean!

You have to be careful with that idea. Some 50's Cadillac full wheelcovers attach funny with clips, or they just don't look right on modern wheels. There could potentially be an issue with rubbing on the fender skirts with a big old hubcap sticking out, too.

Some early 50's - back Cads had dog dish type hubcaps, but I would test them out on whatever wheels you get before I'd assume they would fit the circumfrence of the hub. Also, you'd have to use some kind of truck steel wheels from the get-go, because Caprices with this bolt pattern generally don't have the bumps for any small hubcaps.

Also, these cars are pretty fancy, so you need to find a middle ground between too much razzle-dazzle, and something that makes it look like a POS out of the junkyard. I think Fleetwoods are pretty hard to make look right, because they don't accept some of the same treatments as a Caprice will and still look right. Also, beyond the weirdo's around here, they have a stigma with normal people (I'll let you figure out what that is), so you're walking a fine line looking good, or looking way wrong.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've got a picture at home of a flatblack FW with red steelies. I'll look for it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah what happened to that dude... I thought I had that pic but I don't...

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, never thought I would see the flat black rat-rod look on a Fleetwood... bleh

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your talking about the sombraro hubcaps. they were realy smooth and you see them on alot of early Ford and Merc leadsleds.
i think they were stock Caddy in the 40's or 50's,but they do make repos now.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that is ONE severely different-a$$ looking Fleetwood there. Can't help but think it would look even better with monoed-bottom chrome . . .

But then I bet y'all had a premonition I was gonna offer that, eh?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll trade you my nice original 79 wire hubcaps and wheels for the 20's and even buy 4 new whitewalls for them first :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here are the ones on my Caddy. They are cheap and real easy to find. Thye also are extremely easy to keep clean. I have a few sets of these, and I never paid more than 30 bucks for all for.

~HJ

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking of getting rid of the thrashed stockers for somthing els

I like wire wheels like on the older style cars

or just go with the wheels in the pic above "N97s"?

make it all evil looking :D

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought to chime in, my winter setup:

9C1 wheels with Michelin Artic Alpin tires---

Soon to have some Caddy wire hubcaps :D (I will put the fenderskirts back on then)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts