Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what kind of plastic is the res made of, anyone know ?
Or is it
polypropylene ?

i am going to test maybe using plastic welding strips to see if i can fix one that is cracked along the seem.

thanx.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Take it off and look it over. There should be a marking indicating the material. Hopefully it's not molded on one of the non-visible interior surfaces.

It will likely look something along the lines of >PP<. The letters will denote the material.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup i checked my spare...it's PP = polypropylene

gonna see if they sell strips of that stuff now.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
If you can not find the sticks, any piece of polypropylene will work for filler.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a repair, need to test it...

Finally got around to this last weekend.
Not sure when I'll get around to installing it for a test, today was 60 degrees and likely the last warm day til spring.

Here is link to all the picks on cardomain.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ridepost/6316321/19130600/1996-chevrolet-impala/

here are the Cliffs....
Tools

Setup

First timer at plastic...

Some are better than others.

-ALF out...

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Well, at least you've got more than enough rationale to spray that whole ugly mess gloss black now. ;)

Seriously man, good work - and write-up. Just a question: did the crack come from excessive (>15#) pressure, or just look like a manuf. flub?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's a manu flub........
i leaks at the seam where the two halfs are melted together when the thing is made.

It only leaked in 2 spots, but i am not doing this again so plastic welded almost the entire
tank.

-ALF out...

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Nice work, I've thought about getting one of those Harbor Freight kits for a while now. Be interested to hear how the repair holds up once you get it back on the car. But the Green is not too purty. I guess the HF kit just uses dye in the rods so you can tell the difference in plastic types.

FYI - Was curious to see if the PP rods were available elsewhere in other colors and it appears like they are. Just found this link and appears to be a better color match. You may not need that many and could maybe find less expensive options out there to match.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Polypropylene-Welding-Natural-Rod-PRONEN.php?&kitoptionpk=2154&src=adwordspla&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=na&utm_content=plastic+rods-PRONEN&keyword=GOOGLEPLA-rods-PRONEN-kits2154&gclid=COXy4Jfzl8kCFZUlgQod5dUESQ

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swing and i miss...

Well, so much for only doing this once.
My mech pressure tested it and i still have one leak.
It's marked with the black "x" 's .

Maybe next month will have time to weld the rest of it up.

-ALF out.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts