Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Mb quart (the real german ones) Boston, jl , diamond audio, and morel separates in the past. I am looking for a nice set of high end 6 inch components. The last set I bought was kicker and they really just didnt cut it compared to what I was used to. Are focal speakers really and better or worth the cash? Anyone here running them? If so what models? Thanks

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have always had the MB Quart.Tried Focals about 2 years ago. Sold them as quick as I got them and went back to MB. They werent all the were cracked up to be for the money

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have used Mb quart (the real german ones) Boston, jl , diamond audio, and morel separates in the past. I am looking for a nice set of high end 6 inch components. The last set I bought was kicker and they really just didnt cut it compared to what I was used to. Are focal speakers really and better or worth the cash? Anyone here running them? If so what models? Thanks
Can't answer your question... but the next time I change components I'm gonna try either MB Quart or Infinity Kappa series. I've never heard anything negative about either.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I had 6.5" MB's in my old F150 and have Focals in the SS. The Quarts were great, but I think that the Focals have a "smoother" sound.

I guess it depends on what you want to listen to. I listen to mainly rock (all kinds - metal, classic, prog, etc.) and blues. Focals are perfect. The MB's were definitely a bit "brighter" with the highs.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've got Nakamichi 4X6 plates in my truck dash. 4" round and a separate tweet.

They are really bright. So much so, that I fade back to the 6.5" JL XR Components in the doors.

This is run by a PPI art series 200x4 amp.

I've got it so I get a lot more mid bass and fill from the larger 6.5" speakers, without the front stage being too in your face. I had to disconnect the rear Nakamichi's I have, but you can't even notice they are gone.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I had focals. I gave em away with my old car because I thought they were blown...turned out to be the amp.

It was a mistake...they were really LOUD and bright! So much tweet, but I'm sure you can match that with half the price.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tim,
I wish i would have known I would let you listen to my bike.
I have Focals all over that thing and it sounds incredible.
Had Diamonds, MB quartz, Infinity Kappa and Focals and still have the focals.
You can hear my latest when i see you this weekend.

It's not always the speaker but what and how the speaker is being used.

Cheap Amps = Sound Cheap

Cheap wiring = sounds cheap

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Yes Focal is worth it, some of the best sounding speakers I have heard, and installed. MB quart is now owned and made by Maxxsonic, the people that make Crunch, they have fallen way off from where they Used to be, back in the day. Its not the same company, or product anymore.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
wire is not just wire, its just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
since when do the properties of elements (ie, copper) change depending on how much you pay for it? if you want to test the theory, hook up an expensive 18ga wire for one side and a cheap 16ga wire (same braiding as the expensive wire) for the other side, run a high wattage through them, and see if they don't both burn up lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just my humble opinion but why if their is no difference in wire would my one system sound great and another not sound so good and the only difference is the wires.
I changed the wires and they both sound good.

In my bike I got allot of feed back from the motor. I changed the wires and the connectors and all is good. (shielding was way better)

I changed all my battery cables to the much larger and more expensive wire and now I have no charging problems.

I think it is a case by case game with wiring but i have noticed over the years that size matters when getting into the power cables and quality sound always comes from quality wiring. That stuff they sell at radio shack is not quite on par with the high performance Stinger Cables i am running right now between the head unit and the amps.

I noticed a huge change in the way everything electrical worked in the car when I changed the ground cables to some extra heavy duty wires.

Just my humble opinion of course

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I didn't know amps made sound?

Wire = Wire
come on jimmmyyyy

wire is very important, VERY.

if the shielding of the wires are ****, then you will get metal and electronic interfearence with the signal....

;)

------------
since when do the properties of elements (ie, copper) change depending on how much you pay for it? if you want to test the theory, hook up an expensive 18ga wire for one side and a cheap 16ga wire (same braiding as the expensive wire) for the other side, run a high wattage through them, and see if they don't both burn up lol
just like anything else there is different grades of metal, and not only the power wires, but the rca, the speaker and grounds.

cheap wires = cheap connection...period.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
wire is not just wire, its just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
No you don't.

Best example is power cable. I can do the same thing with a cheap welding cable as I can with something more expensive. Copper is copper. Or am I lying?

Here is another perfect example. I am into Home Theatre. Everything I am running now is connected via HDMI cables. Here is what I used.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2

Less than $10 and the quality is equal to or better than this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster...skuId=9345693&st=monster cable hdmi&cp=1&lp=5

Look at the close up shots of my monoprice cable in comparison.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
No you don't.

Best example is power cable. I can do the same thing with a cheap welding cable as I can with something more expensive. Copper is copper. Or am I lying?
the welding wire has great shielding though, so your point is kinda moot....

·
Registered
806 Posts
the welding wire has great shielding though, so your point is kinda moot....
I think he made his point quite well... if the welding wire has good sheilding, and runs LESS EXPENSIVE by the foot than "audio" wire
careful how you throw the word "cheap" around.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Its all about strand count, the more exspensive car audio wire has a higher strand count of wire in the sheilding than cheaper kits. electricity flows the path of least resistance, so the more strands of wire in the shielding, makes it flow better than cheaper priced kits. As far as the welding cable argument, i'm pretty sure that welding wire can flow alot of current, to heat metal and fuse it together, so it probably is on par with more exspensive cables as far as resistance and flow rate go. I'm talking about comparing lets say a Qpower cheap 4ga kit to a Jl audio 4 ga kit, the outer sheilding will be about the same diameter, but the jl audio kit will have alot more wire inside of it than the qpower kit will. that is what makes the difference in price and performance, the amount of metal in the wire makes it more exspensive. I've been doing car audio professionally my whole life, and this is how I expalin the difference to my customers: imagine power cable as a straw or hose, if you are under water and have a choices where to breathe through a Mc Donalds straw or lets say a garden water hose, now you can breathe through both, but you will work alot harder to get air through the straw, than you would to get air through the hose right. thats all it is its about less resistance. would you run a 10ga power wire and ground into a true 1500 watt amp, no, can you yes, but it will not perform up to its potential and it will eventually burn up the amp or destroy the wire. smaller gauge wires make the amp work harder.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have done some tests with cheap wire and it really does make a difference to a point. The main thing is to have the right gauge for what you are doing. If anyone one is looking for mb quarts please take note they are no longer the same as they used to be. Now they are made in china and not germany. I have used Infinity before and they work really well as long as you dont push them to hard. I never have used any Nakamichi speakers but I have 4 or 5 of there older amps and they are super clean.

·
Super Moderator
8,661 Posts
While we're yammering about anything and everything..

I had an old (like 1980s) Nakamichi PA-300II amp. Rated 75x2 rms. Sold it for crazy money. Regret selling it. Every speaker I tried sounded great on that amp.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts