Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
impalassdcm96 is right.
I knew somebody would get it right in here.

Also whomever was saying that no matter what speakers they put on their amp sounded good I have had the same experience some amps are just plain and simple great pieces of equipment while others are just a piece..............

I have gone through so many amps in my boat is is just rediculous.

I started out with PYLE amps.
They are exactly what they say A PILE OF $hit

Then I went to Rockford Fosgate

Blew the first one up the very first day with the boat sitting in my driveway...... replaced for another that lasted but the next amp went out the next day on the water.

Went with ARC audio amps.
Always worked just never really sounded that good.
Never got them dialed in at all. Sold them to a buddy who has them in his boat and they are OK

Stopped messing around and bought JL audio amps like i first started to but thought i could save money.
Sound is perfect for my set up now

3 six channel amps running
2- 6x9 on back floor
6- 6.5 round on side of floor
4- 6.5 component sets 2 in walkway and two in front
6- 6.5 mounted to the tower

2 mono sub amps running 2 12" subs

Sounded great but I had a lil hiss in the line.

Changed the RCA cables to the amps from Rockford to JL and hiss is gone....

I'm getting ready for the summer....woo hoo

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Its all about strand count, the more exspensive car audio wire has a higher strand count of wire in the sheilding than cheaper kits. electricity flows the path of least resistance, so the more strands of wire in the shielding, makes it flow better than cheaper priced kits. As far as the welding cable argument, i'm pretty sure that welding wire can flow alot of current, to heat metal and fuse it together, so it probably is on par with more exspensive cables as far as resistance and flow rate go. I'm talking about comparing lets say a Qpower cheap 4ga kit to a Jl audio 4 ga kit, the outer sheilding will be about the same diameter, but the jl audio kit will have alot more wire inside of it than the qpower kit will. that is what makes the difference in price and performance, the amount of metal in the wire makes it more exspensive. I've been doing car audio professionally my whole life, and this is how I expalin the difference to my customers: imagine power cable as a straw or hose, if you are under water and have a choices where to breathe through a Mc Donalds straw or lets say a garden water hose, now you can breathe through both, but you will work alot harder to get air through the straw, than you would to get air through the hose right. thats all it is its about less resistance. would you run a 10ga power wire and ground into a true 1500 watt amp, no, can you yes, but it will not perform up to its potential and it will eventually burn up the amp or destroy the wire. smaller gauge wires make the amp work harder.
If my amp only needs 50 amps why would I spend $85 on a JL kit when spending $35 on the Qpower kit would suffice. The better wire wouldn't do me any good would it? If I wanted better wire why would I spend $85 when I could spend $55 on a kicker kit that includes the same things as the JL kit. And you CANNOT argue the kicker hyperflex is NOT good wire. That is a $30 difference that I can use to buy RCA's or other accessories for the install.

My argument isn't Cheaply made wire. It is Cheap wire.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
This is your sig, you seem to have bought top notch parts for your car, why cheap out when it comes to audio wires? Would your car be as fast and reliable as it is now if you went the cheap route with your engine build? Why did you use the parts you used when there are cheaper parts that could have been substituted in your build?

Forged 355 with LT4 heads and Hotcam Installed by Phil, LTCC, 3:73's, Edge 3000 Stall Installed by Troy, Denny's DShaft, Tri-Y's, OBD1 Conv, Meziere Pump, Bilsteins, Hotchkis Springs, Finally Running Right PRICELESS!

If my amp only needs 50 amps why would I spend $85 on a JL kit when spending $35 on the Qpower kit would suffice. The better wire wouldn't do me any good would it? If I wanted better wire why would I spend $85 when I could spend $55 on a kicker kit that includes the same things as the JL kit. And you CANNOT argue the kicker hyperflex is NOT good wire. That is a $30 difference that I can use to buy RCA's or other accessories for the install.

My argument isn't Cheaply made wire. It is Cheap wire.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
LEMME SAY THIS.

Use common sense when it comes to some things. Lets say this, are you realy going to notice a difference if you run "CHEAP" wire to speakers? Seriously...........

Ive also never seen a system in my life where 16-14ga isnt suffecient, unless your running 10k plus theres no need for it to be any bigger.

Honestly I dont care, im not wasting my money on "BETTER" speaker wire becuase people said it was better.

Power wire thats a different story.

·
Registered
148 Posts
LEMME SAY THIS.

Use common sense when it comes to some things. Lets say this, are you realy going to notice a difference if you run "CHEAP" wire to speakers? Seriously...........

Ive also never seen a system in my life where 16-14ga isnt suffecient, unless your running 10k plus theres no need for it to be any bigger.

Honestly I dont care, im not wasting my money on "BETTER" speaker wire becuase people said it was better.

Power wire thats a different story.

actually you have it backwards. speaker and signal cable is more important because it carries the sound from the radio to amp and amp to your ears. power wire, to most extent, is comparable between different brands of "4 ga." for instance. but a set of 14ga speaker cables can vary immensely from a quality set to what comes from radio shack. most good stereo shops will allow you to test the cables to see for yourself. i am in west palm beach fl, and i welcome anyone to come in and test a 12 foot piece of whatever crap they have against a few of my 12 foot pieces and i guarantee you will tell the difference. i sell .49 a foot 14 gauge cable, and i sell $8000 12 foot speaker cables. theres definitely a difference there! but even on a less expensive line, like 1.50 a foot is noticeably better than the generic stuff.

sorry to get off on a tangent...
i would reccommend trying the JL XR line (if you can find it) as it is very similar in sound and quality to the old MB Quart.
the new JL stuff is nice too, and dont forget Morel car stuff. they have a cool (but expensive) 3 way setup with a thin 7" woofer great for the doors, and a sealed back 4" and 1" tweeter that sound awesome and are easy to build into kickpanels

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This is your sig, you seem to have bought top notch parts for your car, why cheap out when it comes to audio wires? Would your car be as fast and reliable as it is now if you went the cheap route with your engine build? Why did you use the parts you used when there are cheaper parts that could have been substituted in your build?

Forged 355 with LT4 heads and Hotcam Installed by Phil, LTCC, 3:73's, Edge 3000 Stall Installed by Troy, Denny's DShaft, Tri-Y's, OBD1 Conv, Meziere Pump, Bilsteins, Hotchkis Springs, Finally Running Right PRICELESS!
Hmmm. maybe because if I feel like spraying it I can. It's called future proofing.

If I felt like I needed better wires in the future then I would obviously future proof the install.

Let me see what wiring I run in my car.

Alpine dva-7996 connected via Fiber Optic toslink (Thanks Monoprice) to my Alpine PXA-H701 processor
Custom RCA Cables made with Canare cable to amps. Custom lengths no longer than 3 feet.
Kicker hyperflex PKD1 0 Gauge for power and ground This kit used to be under $100!
Cheap Monoprice 14 gauge speaker wire that costs bout $.17 to midbass, mids, and tweeters.
Cheap 10 gauge I got god knows where to the subs

I spent good money where I needed it and bought what was nescesary to get the job done.

My point is you don't have to spend alot of money to get good stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
WaTTsLOk187 You have to repost your build, you have a great looking trunk, If I remember correctly it was fiber glassed and painted to match the outside of your car, and the trim panel was wrapped in Crock or Gator.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
actually you have it backwards. speaker and signal cable is more important because it carries the sound from the radio to amp and amp to your ears. power wire, to most extent, is comparable between different brands of "4 ga." for instance. but a set of 14ga speaker cables can vary immensely from a quality set to what comes from radio shack. most good stereo shops will allow you to test the cables to see for yourself. i am in west palm beach fl, and i welcome anyone to come in and test a 12 foot piece of whatever crap they have against a few of my 12 foot pieces and i guarantee you will tell the difference. i sell .49 a foot 14 gauge cable, and i sell $8000 12 foot speaker cables. theres definitely a difference there! but even on a less expensive line, like 1.50 a foot is noticeably better than the generic stuff.

sorry to get off on a tangent...
i would reccommend trying the JL XR line (if you can find it) as it is very similar in sound and quality to the old MB Quart.
the new JL stuff is nice too, and dont forget Morel car stuff. they have a cool (but expensive) 3 way setup with a thin 7" woofer great for the doors, and a sealed back 4" and 1" tweeter that sound awesome and are easy to build into kickpanels
My point is you don't have to spend alot of money to get good stuff.

Exactly what im saying WaTTsLOk187

Seriously who cares, get stuff thats worth a damn, and youll be okay, it realy doesnt matter to the average audiophile.

If you are still running RCAs for signal you shouldnt care about the wire going to the speakers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
all this over copper and insulation lol
any GOOD tech that's NOT trying to milk you will tell you the difference in wire is negligible under certain differences... ie, a $10 HDMI cable is gonna give you the same picture as a $100 HDMI cable at a 6ft length, just don't expect the same results at 20ft. so on a 4ft run from amp to sub, is it really worth the price to get the "top of the line" speaker wire?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
From being in the audio scene for a while....I can tell you this....

Focals are expensive.....They sound good....But there are others that are just as good for a little less money

Diamond Audio Hex is one of the best sounding speaker set ups i have had.....got a set on order now for the chevy....

Get the silk tweeters....they are not as harsh or bright as the aluminum ones.

Also look in to the higher end CDT Audio componet sets...

The debate on the quality of wires really depends on how deep in to car audio you are really trying to go....

Welding cable is fine for power and ground wires.....IMHO iw ould upgrade all the cars power and ground wires to 0 guage wire....We called that the "Big 3" but actuall depends on how many wires you have....the more important ones are ALT to battery, Battery to ground, and Ground to Chassis.

Speaker wire doesnt matter AS MUCH for the average person so don't waste a lot of money on buying the most expensive wire...

RCA wire on the other hand are VERY important!!!! These carry the sound signal to the amp FIRST....before it even reaches your cheap/Expensive speaker wires.....High end RCA wires are needed to ensure the best sound possible

Amps are the most influential part that affects the sound of your speakers....NOW, don't get caught up on just the power output of any one amp because most wont put out rated power in everyday applications....the three brands that i know for a fact that do are.....

1. sundown audio

2. Kicker audio

3. Old school (alien looking) RF Punch amps

sorry so long...just had to add a little info for the people who are still learning....

also...a good website to check out is
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/

Everything you need about car audio...

·
Registered
4,532 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I like Dimaond Audio S600A They sound great and not too bad of a price!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I like Dimaond Audio S600A They sound great and not too bad of a price!

Tell em again man......

Diamond Audio Hex s600a or the s600s is what you want for a good price and outstanding sound quality.....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Tell em again man......

Diamond Audio Hex s600a or the s600s is what you want for a good price and outstanding sound quality.....

Ya I prefer the aluminum but some people prefer the silk. I like my brights super bright.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ya I prefer the aluminum but some people prefer the silk. I like my brights super bright.
LOL you like borderline ear bleeding sound...lol

But again..to the original poster....Diamond Audio hex s600 is your best bet...you WONT be disapointed.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just scored some diamond hex 500s for my other car (M3) for 90.00 almost new in the box! I used to have some diamonds in my 02 accord but I forgot what model they were. I really liked them, I had separates in the front and 6x9s in the rear deck. They sounded as good as my mb quarts I had in my other bmw at the time. Its sad mb quarts are now made in china , I was also told diamond audio was bought by another company and is not as good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wire is not just wire, its just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Everybody has in their opinion and I've always believed in good quality wires but I got to tell you one thing I had a very large Pioneer amplifier and some extremely nice custom built speakers and other things I'm not going to go there long story short I needed to hook my stereo up in a hurry and I use them very cheap thin wire that I had lying around I'm not talkin about the power wire I'm talking about speaker wire after doing the installation nobody was able to tell any difference in the sound the only one that knew that I used this tri-fold thin wire was me I'm sure there must have been some resistance in the line but for some reason there was no difference in sound?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts