Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I spray WD-40 on my entire engine, plugs, compressor, everything, without doing any damage. I know there is beauty under all of that dirt, plus it will protect against rust. I just want to make sure I can spray down everything with WD-40, before I do so, and mess something up. Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can you imagine how your car smells when the engine gets warm after that action?

sorry, but take a rag and some solvent spray and clean everything you want to

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WD-40 was my first thought, because I figured it was safe. What type of solvent can I spray on engine parts without being worried about damage?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do it all the time it smells fine. Just dont go spraying it on the manifolds.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DeGreaser would be better, and only in spots where the engine doesn't get too hot, or where it would mess with electronics. Foamy Engine Bright is good stuff, warm up your engine for about 10 minutes, spray that stuff on, turn the engine off, and spray off with water on the side of the road... then again that's something you're only really able to do with the older engines, and only if you cover up the carburator and distributor.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
simple green automotive clener is pretty good ,or just use some good stiff brushes and some dishwashing liquid and scrup everything down then pressure wash the engine off ,its fine i do mine all the time.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i didnt read the whole post. I don't use wd-40 to clean my engine but I use it after I clean it. I also use simple green then srub some things with a brush then hose it down.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
degrease...pressure wash....whole bay ...then a "tire dressing" non silicone(armor allnot sure if sil or not but it will work) spray everything (except exh. and belt) ...lat dry !!!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my process, similar to those above.

Warm the car up, shut it off.

Use Windex on the entire engine compartment (cover up sensitive areas), scrub the heavily dirty spots.

Run the car for a little bit.

Spray the compartment down with water.

then apply Armor all liberally all over the engine compartment. Works great.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Avoid spraying, degreaser on the wiring harness. It "degreases" the electrical tape and soon you have loose ends all over and have to retape the harness. Been there, done that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts