Deck surface
Crank ground .010/.010
Rotating Assy balanced
Perf valve job
Port (aluminum)heads & Intake match to the throttle body
Flat top pistons
07-305-8 Comp cam
Edelbrock 58mm throttle body
I told the builder I was looking for 350-375 h.p./ 350-400 ft./lb. torque. He wants $4500 but that includes removal of old engine and installing this one. Says he has $4000 already put into this engine. I'm not a motorhead, just know I want more power, so I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or not.

Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
20,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
There's no information there to know whether the heads are worth anything at all. The cam is a fairly poor choice for anything other than a mild supercharger application. It wouldn't be worth that price to me. That's more than what I have in a turnkey build and installation for my current motor, which is cranking out way more than what you're considering.
I would pass.

Edit: I just read what I wrote and I think I've contracted the DJ syndrome. Is that a side effect of running AI stuff? ..... lol!

·
Premium Member
20,298 Posts
........Edit: I just read what I wrote and I think I've contracted the DJ syndrome. Is that a side effect of running AI stuff? ..... lol!
Well.....yeah.

But I wasn't gonna say anything until you brought it up :p .....

KW

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Find out the details of the parts used and what the heads flow, then reply.

Pat, did your build include installation costs? Maybe the OP isn't able to do that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current engine has 188k on it and has a slight knock at startup that I never noticed before. Other than that it runs fairly well. I had a rebuilt tranny put in 2 winters ago, replaced all the heater hoses last winter, replaced the radiator this last summer, harmonic balancer fell off 2 summers ago so that was replaced, new starter 2 winters ago. I've replaced a bunch (next is the heater core) of stuff and I love this car so I want to keep it. I figured next step would be a rebuild of the engine and the guy I found with this already rebuilt engine told me he'd charge close to 6000 to pull my motor and rebuild it to stock and put it back in. That's why I'm considering his already completed LT1 he had built for a guy a while back that wrote him a bad check. I do not have the means or the time to do this build myself. I don't even have a garage at my current house. This is my daily driver and I do not want to be stranded somewhere with my 2 year old in the back seat in the middle of a Minnesota winter.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Pat, did your build include installation costs? .......
Yes...."turnkey build and installation"
I see his extra info now that tells me he is looking at this as a replacement for his worn motor as well as a power bump, so its sounding better.
OP: I would ask him to swap that cam out while the engine is out and pick something else that complements whatever CR the engine has.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
i agree that you need to find out what kinda pistons it has. how well the heads were done. what kinda valves and springs. that sorta stuff. $6000 to rebuild your stocker with labor is crazy unless it has good parts and headwork. most small shops around here charge $500-1000 to swap engines. these cars should be on the lower side since they are easy to work on with plenty of room. so figure you are paying $3500-4000 for this engine. not worth it if all it has are cast or hyper pistons and freshened heads that are cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Machine shop work can get expensive. Get all the info & get it in writing. Is he giving you a warranty? Might want to change torque convertor while engine is out to work with the cam.
This is how I break down the $4500 with installation.
All-Data & Motor manuals state it takes 18 hours to R&R the engine, & switch components not supplied with replacement long block. So 18 hours X $60 an hour is $1080.00. Plus is he suppling all the fluids an such?
Even if labor & extras reach $2000.00 The enigine cost is only $2500.00 & you can have that much an more in a complete rebuild. Or for $2500.00 (not sure if the price is accurate),you could install a Jasper Engine an get a 3 year/100k warranty engine. $1000.00 for labor seems average to me & that is what we get in our neck of the woods.
Just giving you a different look.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
.... slight knock at startup that I never noticed before. Other than that it runs fairly well......
I'm sure you know the diff between a bonafide knock ana lifter so don't hit me in the face. But I recall GM actually had a TSB out on cold knocking noises back in the day that was apparently scaring ol folks. Coulda been just tightening the manifold bolts or actually adjusting down the studs - I don't remember. Anyway, my FLT picked up a cold lifter recently at 15X,XXX and quiets down within 1 1/2 min and as you say "other than that runs fairly well".

If you're itching for a change why not do some snooty heads and new lifters on yours, pick a new cam and call it a day? It's a driver after all. Buy your wife a diamond ring with the diff. Oh crap I hope she don't she this. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts