Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my axle is bent. about a month ago I smacked into a curb backwards as stated HERE..
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=233141

... everything looked ok and dont feel anything abnormal. But today my girl was driving next to me and seen that my wheel wobbles, so i had her drive it and it does pretty noticably! i replaced my bent n97s with my Imp wheels and never felt anything since.
could this be a bent axle?? if so i DONT have the money for a new one as my complete budget for this repair is at about $100.
There are a few caprices in the yards here so im going to see what i can find as a replacement tomorrow.
What i need to know is what do i have to look for when finding one? years? length? does my gear size matter? any info would be great.
I have a 95 B4U caprice
2.93 posi
passenger axle

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
You can use an axle shaft from either side. You would need one from an 8.5" ring gear rearend, and that it's the "wider" Sedan axle shaft. The Impala SS, and Caprice B4U were the ones that used the wider axle housing. 9C1's, and Roadmasters both used a skinnier axle housing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cory, that was one of my concerns too ( being able to swap sides) also..what kind of fluid and additive should i get? this is only my second axle repair (other was a 68 buick) so i just want to make sure i get everything i need correctly. i hate runnin up to the parts store halfway through a job ya knowcwm3

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone have a short simple step by step they can post me for this repair?
it was A LONNNGGG time ago when i did my 68, cant remember much. plus im sure the bearings are installed differently.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
The driver side axle on the donor car is usually in better condition than the passenger side. You have to remove the cover, clean out all the old axle lube, remove the retaining clip on the axle, remove all brake parts which would interfere with the axle removal. Do NOT allow the axle to slide over the outer roller bearings. I would replace the seal while it is apart. Put some lube on the bearings before reinstalling, and be careful not to slide the axle on the bearings when replacing the axle. Use a new gasket, and reassembly is the reverse of assembly. You have to use 4 oz of limited slip fluid (pour in first) then fill with the recomended weight oil.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
perfect, thx guys

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
There should be a how to from "auto blog" in the sticky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts