Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning i was headed to a class and my car was giving off a funny smell. Drove about 10 miles and it died on me. I tried to restart it but it just made a click noise. The starter is about 9 months old (doubt its this since it died on me while I was driving). Battery is about 3 months old and is a diehard platinum. Alternator is about 2 years old and is a HD 200 amp. The lights were flashing and radio was playing so the battery seems good. At first I was thinking the alternator died on me and battery had enough juice to run lights and radio (unplugged amp) but not enough to turn over car. Tow truck driver told me he thinks my motor is done. It has 237,000 miles. Seems to me ran fine before this, made some noise but that was the power steering pump pulley. It was half a quart low on oil but it does leak and its been 6 weeks since I changed the oil. The oil smelled fine and didn't look burnt or bad. Hoping its not the engine. I have one with 80,000 miles on it but I wanted to tear it apart and replace the seals and gaskets before I put it in. And Id like to wait til its not cold outside. Whats your alls take on this? any thing I can check to make sure its my motor?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Check the battery cables, particularly the one going to the starter. It is always hot and if it chafed somewhere between the battery and starter it will cause an un-fused dead short, which could cause the engine to quit and prevent a restart. Ask me how I know.
If that looks good, get the alternator tested. The starter problem is a symptom not a cause since it died while running.

Describe the smell prior to it dying. And where the smell was most pungent. ie was the smell coming from the engine compartment or was it worse in the car?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You can also pull the belt off and see if it turns over without it. This sounds like what mine did when the ac compressor seized up on me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't smell it after it died and was looking under hood...smell wasmt extremely strong in car while I was driving...wasn't oil or trans fluid. Never smelled it before...

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Check after the engine has cooled and see if it will turn over or maybe even start then. If it does either you will have a little more information as to what's happened. If you know the battery is up and the starter is good and it still just clicks, then it's likely the engine is locked up.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got home from work and tried to crank it. It was very hesitant but it turned a slight bit and then gave like a half of the first slight turn (sorta like when your battery is dead). I hooked the slow trickle charger up to it and waited. When I hooked it up it showed 11.7 v. I have a kicker amp that draws 150 amps of current. The original alt is 140. I upgraded to a 200. Could this be a factor?? When it broked down earlier I unplugged the amp wire at the battery. I've done the big three upgrade (batt-alt, batt-ground, and engine-ground).
After I let it charge a bit (between 12.9 and 13) I tried again, this time marking the serp. Belt. It turned a little more this time and I checked the belt and it is turning. Maybe its just cause someone mentioned it but it does almost seem like something is dragging the belt (ac??) It made a fairly loud squealing noise at one point. So do I have someone try and crank it and watch to see if the ac compressor pulley is stuck?? Maybe the smell was the belt dragging over the pulley?? And that's why it took a minute to die cuz the battery was holding a charge but the alt wasn't spinning as fast as it should have?? Didn't have any problems with the power steering but now that I think about it, I've had problems with that for a while so maybe its not my ac pulley but my power steering pulley, its been squealing for about 9 months, I thought the most that would happen would be my ps stop working...ill keep u posted. Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my girl crank it and I watched and the alternator would not turn but everything else did. That sucks. I guess I'll have to go back to a 140amp alt. I need to get me another one soon. I guess this time I will get a larger one. Hopefully this is my problem... but I realize I need to change the power steering pump pulley and also start going through my other engine for when the day comes that I need to swap it out, I have one ready (I have a 80,000 mile lt1 from my other fleet, but its been sitting 6 years so I figured before I put it in there I need to freshen it up some). Again thanks a lot guys, I will post the results to my alt swap tomorrow or saturday. BTW 1FAST94, that thing is ridiculous, I want my fleet to pull the front wheels!! What all do you have done to it?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alternator did it...think I'm gonna find me a irraqi or whatever 300 amp...thanks again for the input guys... so glad to have my big girl back on the road

1 - 10 of 10 Posts