Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 4 rims still in the original box. [email protected]
Moderators: can we just remove this poster from the forum?

"Lisamarie" has no introduction, four sale offers that conflict with each other, all posted around the same time, and Google shows no activity for that email address except on this forum.

"Stock rims center lug nut covers": Lisamarie has 4 rims in the box, no price.
"SS Wheels Wanted": 4 chrome ones with tires for $500.
"OEM Impala Wheels (94,95,96 years) thread (started by Lisamarie): 4 wheels in unopened boxes, with caps, no pictures, no price as required.
"Impala SS wheels WTB": four chromed in VGC. No pics, no price, and Lisamarie conveniently says she's near the person who is seeking rims.

Whatever. No credibility.

This makes me think of some recent new members who skip the intro, then make super-enthusiastic posts repeating basic questions, apparently trying to waste people's time. Newbies are wonderful. Newbies who don't read, pay attention, or answer our questions are suspicious. Hard to sort out inexperienced from trolling.

I took a look at some relevant FB car groups. Some intelligent stuff there, and a lot of incoherent brain damage, some of which I think is on purpose.

Makes me wonder if this nice forum is now one small victim of a large well-organized effort to make a mess of the internet. Not just bored random trolls in their basements, but something bigger with a large-scale disruptive intent to destroy social bonds and trust.

I'd hate to see this wonderful forum of enthusiastic people, old and new, skilled and novice, damaged by malicious actors, but I think it's already happening.

Am I paranoid? Ha. A friend who works on high-level global internet crime asked if I was paranoid about this. I said yes. She told me I should be, and she wasn't smiling.

So, how do we keep things like this forum positive and fun? How do we build and retain trust in both directions? How do we help and encourage new members who want to learn, especially if it's all brand new to them and who maybe don't always communicate or grasp things the way we'd hope? How do we do all this wonderful stuff and watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing, whether they're crooks, time-wasters, or people who have a plan to weaken societies by screwing with the internet?

I dunno. Maybe I'm just a rambling paranoiac :(

·
Registered
1994 Impala SS BBB
67 Posts
I double that. I’ve been getting PM’s about stuff that I’ve post that I want to buy and when I go to their profile they are always new members with no post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
On purpose? Yes. There are gullible people everywhere on the internet.

If there is a problem or a concern, all you need to do is REPORT the post or the PM/conversation. Then we can take action.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
"Only the genuinely paranoid have a glimmer of a clue." Quoted from someone famous IDK who.

--quote:
"So, how do we keep things like this forum positive and fun? How do we build and retain trust in both directions? How do we help and encourage new members who want to learn, especially if it's all brand new to them and who maybe don't always communicate or grasp things the way we'd hope?

"Keeping it positive" is in fact a 2-way street. Here it's communicating in a mutually equitable exchange on info and ideas with fellow car enthusiasts. That mandates following basic techniques of effective written communication that have been around several centuries: spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar. This stuff is really not that complicated. Of course a poster lacking ability with any of the above is not a deal breaker, but at least some effort must be put forth to qualify a post with the minimum respect deserving of readers. Especially after any given poster has been notified of deficiencies, omissions and contradictions in their post that need attending to permit progress with their issue(s).

Paraphrasing the words of someone else famous, and regarding justice, "Fighting piss-poor sloppy lazy addle-brained gibberish polluting any technical automotive forum, is fighting piss-poor sloppy lazy addle-brained gibberish polluting every technical automotive forum."

I'll have no truck with the constant assault to "dummy down" this forum by those "deigning to privilege us" with only 45 seconds of their time to squeeze out a 8-word, missing words, misspelled smear of a post who hasn't shown the initiative to have spent even 4 minutes researching on their own beforehand. Mindful of the collateral damage from the host's new platform that's luring all manner of kids from their other social media apps to this forum, my approach had been to reply (where fitting) to a new poster (with gentleness or gruffness to fit the situation) that they had joined up to an adult forum having certain standards, along with listing for them what information needed to be corrected and/or added to return even a minimum of interest and hopefully others' replies. In a couple instances that has netted enough new info to permit a discussion to develop. But overall it's been only marginal gratification, so I then morphed that into waiting for other replies first without my preaching, and if I gather enough insight for my productive contribution then so be it.

But, along the lines of "leading a horse to water and having it ask for a coke and rub its belly", my approach is developing into just assessing the "return v. investment" and then refrain from nourishing any posts (and OPs) that don't measure up to even the lowest, simplest standards for communicating with others. I know that sounds callous and egalitarian, but instead of my persisting in tilting at windmills it's just one guy's means of discouraging those individuals better suited to posting comments to You Tubes, and FB and the other snap-chats of the universe. It boils down to the cold hard fact of life that if you're old enough to own a car and have an interest in working on it yourself, then participating in an adult technical forum comes with certain responsibilities; respect for other's time, listening skills, gumption & tenacity, willingness to read, and and.... Those without those traits they are just gonna injure themselves and their wallets without success, and then pay even more afterward at a shop.

I figure from the measurable diminished activity by many of the regulars on here and other forums that's the strategy they're following too.

--quote:
How do we do all this wonderful stuff and watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing, whether they're crooks, time-wasters, or people who have a plan to weaken societies by screwing with the internet?

As mentioned, for outright scammers and those otherwise abusing forum rules there's 'Report'. Time-wasters, the underage and those perceived as meddling with society; just ignore them. It took our nation's legislators 4 years to comprehend foreign malfeasance in our election(s). We ain't gonna fix it on a car forum.

[EDIT]: Look what just popped up! Check out Post #49:

Boy, was I a fool way back then. He hasn't been on in 5 months. And I got a kick outta how he acknowledged KW-'s reply with the requested info in a different thread.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, my, that Crown Vic driveshaft thread was interesting. I really had to focus on it to follow it, which I enjoy for the learning potential, like playing backgammon with someone who's a lot better than me.
A tangentially related tale about scamming--I once was interested in buying a car and was willling to fly to check it out. Seller wanted the money in advance. No thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was not aware that the forum had removed the requirements to post on the introduction thread before being allowed anywhere else, and the (if I remember correctly) 10 post minimum before being allowed into the buy/sell area. I feel like that would solve a lot of issues, but I wonder if they've made these changes to make it easier for mobile users and connecting to social media users. Not that any of that is a good thing. My presence diminished dramatically back when the forum got hacked and I had to start using an impossible to remember password (apparently they've never heard of 2-factor authentication, but what the hell do I know, I've only been using computers since I was a little kid). And since this overhaul my presence has been pretty much non-existent. I don't even bother to check it much anymore because it's such a debacle to navigate anything or even find current topics, and I basically don't log in at all unless I really want to comment on something, which I generally don't anymore. It sucks, this was such a great forum for so long and now it's kind of a dumpster fire.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Yah, all that's gone now. I questioned the same exact issues soon after the changeover, and was casually informed that, "new robust upgraded anti-scamming software eliminates the need" for mandatory 'Introduction' post and minimum postcounts. But individually the mods and Admin are plying their college-level best to fend off ne'er-do-wells.

"I wonder if they've made these changes to make it easier for mobile users and connecting to social media users. Not that any of that is a good thing."

+1. Or perhaps more like +300 based on notably less posting by the old standard-bearers. But boi we's sure gots the attention of quite a few newbs taking a 20-second break between their FB, SnapChatter, InstaGlam and TipTop posts.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Trust me, most of the spammers never get here. Between Sherlock and I, we deal with at least 10 new signed up spammers a day. They get spam cleaned before you guys get to see them. This feature is MUCH better on Xenforo (the new forum software) than the old Vbulletin. Most of the sites I'm on are on Xenforo now, but one privately owned is still Vbulletin. Trust me, this is better. And I HATE change.
I was not aware that the forum had removed the requirements to post on the introduction thread before being allowed anywhere else, and the (if I remember correctly) 10 post minimum before being allowed into the buy/sell area. I feel like that would solve a lot of issues, but I wonder if they've made these changes to make it easier for mobile users and connecting to social media users. Not that any of that is a good thing. My presence diminished dramatically back when the forum got hacked and I had to start using an impossible to remember password (apparently they've never heard of 2-factor authentication, but what the hell do I know, I've only been using computers since I was a little kid). And since this overhaul my presence has been pretty much non-existent. I don't even bother to check it much anymore because it's such a debacle to navigate anything or even find current topics, and I basically don't log in at all unless I really want to comment on something, which I generally don't anymore. It sucks, this was such a great forum for so long and now it's kind of a dumpster fire.
Welcome back, glad you got signed in. A forum is what the membership makes of it. So, contribute and enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts