Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am in the process of buying a '94 decomissioned cop car. They advertised it as having an LT1 5.7L. When I decoded the VIN through here, GM Vin Information , the car's VIN has an 8th digit of W, which means it is a L99 4.3L.
I haven't picked up the car yet, but I have pics of the engine bay. Do the 4.3Ls look like this?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the LT1 look just like the L99 motors
the factory L99 alternator is a tid smaller
without looking at the casting of the motor you can't tell the two
good indication the VIN shows a W 99% its the L99
I say that is because I give 1% factor for the motor swap
Get the codes from the trunklid, they'll say if it has disc rear or drums, and what ratio

to a uneducated person the two motor bays look exactly alike

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks.

IS the L99 worth a darn? It not being a LT1 after he advertised the heck out of it being one is a deal breaker to me (I won it on Ebay).
I may keep it if he adjusts the price accordingly.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The L99 is still a fine motor but yes a real LT-1 car is worth a good bit more. Certainly more desireable.

It would appear as it is likely a 9C1 and I'm not really sure what engines came in them but as noted from first glance the L99 and the LT-1 look very much alike.

Could be a swap or the seller being clueless. You certainly want to find out before exchanging money.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost ALL sellers on ebay misprint their engine details because they assume it's an lt1 by looking under the hood. I've even seen auctions with people saying "93 caprice 9c1 with lt1 engine". Be real careful with ebay when it pertains to these cars. Most people advertise an l99 as an lt1. I also think the l99 has single exhaust. Good luck

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 9C1 got the big alternator reguardless of engine it was just the civi L99 that was likely to get a smaller alternator.
An LT1 says 327 or an L99 says 588 on the drivers side of the block. Here is a crude picture to help you understand, maybe you can get the guy to tell you what number is there just tell him you are trying to figure out "which lt1 it has ;) ".
The L99 is OK and it is easy to swap in an LT1 IF the price of the car makes buying an LT1 to go into it a reasonable thing to do more info on that in my sig. Unless the car was very reasonable though you probably want to use the L99 as grounds to have Ebay back you out of the auction, I would think this is sufficient grounds and do believe you will find it to be an L99.

Here is the pic.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd refuse the car and get an LT1 car. If you really want to keep it, take your winning bid and divide by 2. Then subtract $500 more, and there's your new price, IMHO.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after I told the guy to go look at the Catalyst sticker under the hood he seemed embarrassed and said he made a mistake.
He said I could have it for $2000.00.
It's got 100,000 miles and I think I am going to get it.
Is that a fair price?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the interior and exteriors to your liking(...and u dont mind the friggin 4.3...)i say yea 2 grand aint a bad deal....if this is a daily driver i say yea get it...

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by pair8hd:
Well after I told the guy to go look at the Catalyst sticker under the hood he seemed embarrassed and said he made a mistake.
He said I could have it for $2000.00.
It's got 100,000 miles and I think I am going to get it.
Is that a fair price?
I think I'd pass. Mainly because I STILL don't think it's worth it, but partially out of disdain for the seller that either doesn't know what he's selling, or he's dishonest. If he's dishonest and trying to catch an unsuspecting buyer, what else is he hiding?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get a decent LT1 car for that price. I'd pass... seems like the seller was trying to pull a fast one on an unsuspecting buyer.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not like it wouldn't have been obvious after the sale (to whomever). Even my dad knows the difference. He test drove a 95 Caprice once with an L99 and commented that it felt like it didn't have any torque compared to his 91 Olds CC L03. He, of course, not being one to wind the piss out of an engine, preferred the torque delivery of the L03, despite the 30 fewer HP...

And for my $0.02, I'd also skip the L99 car. Just like my dad did.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went ahead and bought it after i checked it out and test drove it.
The L99 is kinda lacking in torque on the bottom end but once I got it on the highway the top end was great.
I pulled some codes off of the SPID label under the trunk lid and found out it is a 9C1 (police package) and has a G80 rear end (Limited slip).

I'm happy.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car is an L-99, yeah, its not as fast as the 350s, but I focused on making the thing corner and handle good, goes plenty fast enough to get me in trouble, gets good MPG.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome pair8hd. There are one or two wichita locals here on the forum.
<-- 87 Shortwide from wichitaracing.

anyhow, what are your plans for the caprice?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Kevin Moore:
And for my $0.02, I'd also skip the L99 car. Just like my dad did.
My 1994 Caprice was a L99 with GU5 3.23:1 rear ratio, and believe me it had plenty of low end torque once I did some maintenance on it. Poorly maintained engines usually lack any low end power.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by sfriesen:
Welcome pair8hd. There are one or two wichita locals here on the forum.
<-- 87 Shortwide from wichitaracing.

anyhow, what are your plans for the caprice?
Hey what's up.
Not too sure on plans. I kind of want to leave it "stock" looking and maybe find an LT1 to drop in and have me a nice big sleeper or may just throw some headers on the L99, lower, paint it and make it a poser mobile.
See you around.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey welcome, for future reference the wichita area meets tend to get posted in the concerns section with WASSO somewhere in the title.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Sshockr:
Hey welcome, for future reference the wichita area meets tend to get posted in the concerns section with WASSO somewhere in the title.
Cool. Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts