Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss is claiming that if you put an LT4 cam into an LT1, and shave the head 35 thousandths, you will gain 125 HP. That seems a little outrageous, and he is a talker.

Either way, what would the compression be?

Thanks.

- Brett Smith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your boss is a nerd....

It's hard to gain 125 NA with even the best heads and cam!

Tell him you know a 13 sec L99.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brett,
He may have been refering to the whole LT4 Hot Conversion Kit in which will give you about that if not a little more. Based on the article in GM High Perfomance, I gained approx 160HP. From 260 to 420 Flywheel Horses. Just FYI I think you will need more than just the cam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He DOES know that the LT4 only put out 330hp, right? Some say that's under-rated, but not by a big difference. It might've been 340-350hp. Anyway, that's a 70-90hp difference and it also includes better heads (I've been told the heads are worth 20hp over the best LT1 heads.)

With the higher compression (I have no idea what the difference would be) the HP would be higher, but I doubt that would be worth 50hp.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the engines in the articles that mention ~420hp with the LT4 Hot cam also have headers, custom computer programming, and other bolt-ons. So keep that in mind also ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought. The number seemed way to high, but he claims he knows people in the business and what not. I just smile and nod my head, and then find out the truth.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

- Brett Smith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you try shaving 35 thousandths off an LT1 head, be it aluminum or iron, it will cut into the valve seat. They'd have to be angle milled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>By the way, I'm pretty sure the engines in the articles that mention ~420hp with the LT4 Hot cam also have headers, custom computer programming, and other bolt-ons. So keep that in mind also <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well let me put to you this way I lost 2 seconds in my 1/4 mile times with the LT4 Kit, gears, programming, headers, and a 2800 Stall converter. So whatever the HP numbers are it's still AWESOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1BAD96:
Well let me put to you this way I lost 2 seconds in my 1/4 mile times with the LT4 Kit, gears, programming, headers, and a 2800 Stall converter. So whatever the HP numbers are it's still AWESOME.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only dropped 1.75 seconds :( Maybe it's time for headers, electric water pump, LT4 heads, cam, etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.