Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will the rules for autocross and road course classing be posted? It'd be nice to have them in ample time to make sure one is legal in a given class...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Bob,

I don't know that we've discussed it yet. I'll ask the question at the next BoD meeting, if the PRO doesn't answer here in the meantime.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Classifications

Bob,

I believe we will have a board chat tonight, and I'll bring that up for discussion. I don't believe we have a need to change anything for the B-Bodys, but since we are open to newer years as well we may have to set some grouping guidelines. I'm not sure that it would be fair to the newer Imp's to compete with V-8's and rear wheel drive with V-6's and front wheel drive. Number (and type) of mods may still apply though.

I am open to anny thoughts, however..........specially from the seasoned "vets!" I'll forward this to Todd S. as well, to get some feedback from him as well.

Thanks for keeping us 'on our toes" about this!

Best regards,

Bobo

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob,

I believe we will have a board chat tonight, and I'll bring that up for discussion. I don't believe we have a need to change anything for the B-Bodys, but since we are open to newer years as well we may have to set some grouping guidelines. I'm not sure that it would be fair to the newer Imp's to compete with V-8's and rear wheel drive with V-6's and front wheel drive. Number (and type) of mods may still apply though.

I am open to anny thoughts, however..........specially from the seasoned "vets!" I'll forward this to Todd S. as well, to get some feedback from him as well.

Thanks for keeping us 'on our toes" about this!

Best regards,

Bobo
My thoughts are:
- Keep the '91-'96 classings as they are (of course, make any point value adjustments as needed)

- Have another group for '00-'10 cars with similar classes/point values

- Have another group for (probably wouldn't use anyway) <'90 cars with similar classes/point values

Just as long as they get agreed upon, and posted somewhere in advance to determine class, that's awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looking at the events the ISSCA National what day is scheduled for Drag racing ?

Brown9C1
Norman Pelton
Friday night is Drags. The whole schedule will post soon at the ISSCA website!

Bobo

·
Registered
62 Posts
2010 NATS update

All the info you should need sans the car show rules (which I need to convert to electronic format) are posted. Electronic registration form is now available (thanks for waiting while I figured out our new software)! Hope to see ya there!

Link to the main "NATS" Page - http://issca.org/issca-national-gathering/

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ed (and ISSCA staff),

Thanks for the updated site with rules!

I do have a question about one of the rules... maybe it's been in there before, but I don't remember it if it was....

Could someone expand on "Special Construction" or "Special Compound" tires in this rule:

Stock Class- Only standard production DOT tires (or available replicas) are allowed. “Special construction” or “Special compound” tires are not allowed in the Stock class. Tires can be of any size as fitted on stock size rims. For 1958 to 1964, rims can be up to 2” wider than stock. For 1965 to 1991, rims can be 1” wider than stock.

Prepared Class- Only DOT labeled tires are allowed, including “special construction” or “special compound” tires. These tires shall be 200 wear rating minimum.

Also, from the above in Stock Class, I define the wording in that 1992 to 1996 cars CANNOT run any wheel size different from stock (i.e. a Caprice, Roadmaster or Fleetwood CANNOT run Impala wheel). Is this true?

Also also, Snell 95 helmets are NOT allowed at this event? You may want to reiterate this a few more times for people that still have Snell 95 helmets so they'll be prepared when they go down to the ISSCA Nats.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the comments and questions! I will,however need to differ these questions to the Race Stewards...

As far as helmets goes... the track is all about safety and so are we. We want you to have a good time and live to tell about it. Safety & Rescue is one expense we will gladly pay for and be happy to NOT USE at any event!

Now as far as the Volunteer Fire Dept that will be doing the BBQ... well its worth every penny!!! These guys can cook!!! Individual Donations are accepted as well.

I'm not sure but I believe other race oriented bodies (NASA, SCCA, etc...) have changed their helmet requirements as well so this should fall in line with them. I race at this track with a SA 2000 helmet and I will need an upgrade myself starting with the new rules going into effect come October 1st 2010. So (shameless pitch coming) If any one knows of a safety equipment company that would like to be a Sponsor or Vendor at the event.. please send them our way to any BOD or Officer. And if the event is out than maybe a ISSF Group Purchase is a possibility.

Keep the comments and questions coming...

We hope to see you there! Register today!

·
Ultimate Impala Guru!
5,481 Posts
Ed (and ISSCA staff),

Thanks for the updated site with rules!

I do have a question about one of the rules... maybe it's been in there before, but I don't remember it if it was....

Could someone expand on "Special Construction" or "Special Compound" tires in this rule:

Stock Class- Only standard production DOT tires (or available replicas) are allowed. “Special construction” or “Special compound” tires are not allowed in the Stock class. Tires can be of any size as fitted on stock size rims. For 1958 to 1964, rims can be up to 2” wider than stock. For 1965 to 1991, rims can be 1” wider than stock.

Prepared Class- Only DOT labeled tires are allowed, including “special construction” or “special compound” tires. These tires shall be 200 wear rating minimum.

Also, from the above in Stock Class, I define the wording in that 1992 to 1996 cars CANNOT run any wheel size different from stock (i.e. a Caprice, Roadmaster or Fleetwood CANNOT run Impala wheel). Is this true?

Also also, Snell 95 helmets are NOT allowed at this event? You may want to reiterate this a few more times for people that still have Snell 95 helmets so they'll be prepared when they go down to the ISSCA Nats.
Wheels : the "de-facto" from before ;) is that a 94-96 Impala SS wheel was considered a "stock" wheel for racing class on any 91-96 B-body.

Tires : This means no recaps or such (i.e. take a 300 treadwear carcass, had a Hoosier A6-like compound thrown on it as a recap), or R-comps in stock class (or anything else with treadwear below 200). De-facto, it really means that stock and prep have the same tire rules (i.e. no R-compounds, and no Toyo R1Rs or Kumho XS...the "tire to have" would be the new Falken RT-615K). Personally if I were writing that rule I think it'd be reasonable to drop the treadwear rating in Prep to 140 as this will also allow the R1R or XS, but keep it at 200 (or even RAISE it to 300) in Stock. Mod gets the R-compounds (i.e. V710, A6, Z214, R888) while Race can go get some CP car take-offs if they want ;)

That said, so far at ISSCA events the only folks I've heard of who violated the rules on classing (i.e. got bad at math on purpose and put their car in an easier class than it really belonged in) were those whose driving was, umm, "far enough backmarker" that it didn't matter ;) . Pretty much all of the racing top guns have played fair and square (or classed "up"...I believe my car in St Louis '08 was technically only in "Mod" points wise but I ran it in "Race" just because I felt it was the right thing to do)...I expect that'll continue at the 2010 ISSCA Nats.

Helmets : do agree that Snell 2000+ should be considered the new standard. I suspect that SPS in St Louis (Bob Ploof, you know them well ;) ) could work something out with ISSCA...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure but I believe other race oriented bodies (NASA, SCCA, etc...) have changed their helmet requirements as well so this should fall in line with them. I race at this track with a SA 2000 helmet and I will need an upgrade myself starting with the new rules going into effect come October 1st 2010. So (shameless pitch coming) If any one knows of a safety equipment company that would like to be a Sponsor or Vendor at the event.. please send them our way to any BOD or Officer. And if the event is out than maybe a ISSF Group Purchase is a possibility.
Not an argument, just an FYI, Snell 95s are still allowed this year for autocross per SCCA (15 year Snell span for Solo2, PDX and club racing are 10 year, iirc), besides... my Snell 95 that I bought just before i2k is due to be retired (have been looking at some Snell 2005s)

Wheels : the "de-facto" from before ;) is that a 94-96 Impala SS wheel was considered a "stock" wheel for racing class on any 91-96 B-body.

Tires : This means no recaps or such (i.e. take a 300 treadwear carcass, had a Hoosier A6-like compound thrown on it as a recap), or R-comps in stock class (or anything else with treadwear below 200). De-facto, it really means that stock and prep have the same tire rules (i.e. no R-compounds, and no Toyo R1Rs or Kumho XS...the "tire to have" would be the new Falken RT-615K). Personally if I were writing that rule I think it'd be reasonable to drop the treadwear rating in Prep to 140 as this will also allow the R1R or XS, but keep it at 200 (or even RAISE it to 300) in Stock. Mod gets the R-compounds (i.e. V710, A6, Z214, R888) while Race can go get some CP car take-offs if they want ;)

That said, so far at ISSCA events the only folks I've heard of who violated the rules on classing (i.e. got bad at math on purpose and put their car in an easier class than it really belonged in) were those whose driving was, umm, "far enough backmarker" that it didn't matter ;) . Pretty much all of the racing top guns have played fair and square (or classed "up"...I believe my car in St Louis '08 was technically only in "Mod" points wise but I ran it in "Race" just because I felt it was the right thing to do)...I expect that'll continue at the 2010 ISSCA Nats.

Helmets : do agree that Snell 2000+ should be considered the new standard. I suspect that SPS in St Louis (Bob Ploof, you know them well ;) ) could work something out with ISSCA...
You're right, Ed R., in that it was the "de-facto" back in the day (and through today), but if you recall how the rules were written originally, there were point values assigned to change in diameter and/or width (per full inch) but wasn't enforced for SS wheels on a non-SS car, so that rule eventually dropped off the list. I just thought maybe it came back full-circle... (Ed R., as you know, I've been looking at SCCA rules FAR too long so that instinct kicks in by default, lol)

Also, thanks again for the clarification on the tires... see note above, lol

I'll talk with the owners of SPS about that... considering I just co-drove his new EM car, and he's letting me back in it at the next event!!

Attachments

·
Ultimate Impala Guru!
5,481 Posts
(Ed R., as you know, I've been looking at SCCA rules FAR too long so that instinct kicks in by default, lol)
Yeah, I know. And the downside to any "points" system of car classification is that it allows for, umm, "loopholes" (yes, including the ISSCA system). I keep threatening to find a Stock LT1 B-body one of these years and fully take advantage of said loopholes to build a "stock" class car that'd be a good bit faster than it should be :)

BTW Bob, pretty cool on the EM ride :cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW Bob, pretty cool on the EM ride :cool:
Yeah, that drive went something like this....

"WAAAA!!!! <shift> WAAAAAAA...(45 seconds later)...AAAAA!!!! <breathe>"... and the car sounded good too, lol. I think I actually tried to yell, but I accelerated through it, so no noise came out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Helmets

Guys,

The track prefers snell 2005 helmets, but since racing is prior to Oct 1, Snell 2000 is OK!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts