Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys and gals talked me into it with all the great links and information. When getting on the forum I was looking across Canada and the USA for a good Caprice wagon. If in the States it was going to be big dollars with the current exchange and all the hocky pocky hoops and red tape to get a car across the line. Found a 95 way back east in Canada that checked off all I wanted. Just under 200k about 130 miles for my friends in the US. Red Woody garage kept, all the heavy-duty stuff checked off, rad, cooler, trans. The only thing it doesn't have as far as a tow package is I don't see possi or the hitch on the original order forms from GMC.
Once landed it will get gears/possi updated suspension and 18 X wide all around to get a more modern drive feel, as well give my something to hit the car shows with when the Hot Rod is parked. Once in new property with a bit more car storage, down the road I may go through the whole car but as for now weekend upgrades. Thanks POOCH !

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yip that's the one. The windows are now tinted, seen the whole underside, other than I will be scraping undercoat off the good bits for some hours, but it's got no body issues. I will keep you all posted when it shows up. I would like to get at the very least 275 18s all the way around for wheels n tires, maybe wider out back. I have had the 17 inch Camaro wheels 275 on my Chevy Blazer dropped a slight bit. Want a bit more for the Long Roof if possible. I'm beginning to talk and think like Tim Allen, better stop searching before I buy something tonight.

· Registered
11,638 Posts
Make sure you get the offset right or you will have interference with the new wheels.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 91-Long Roof, still waiting for the banks to transfer funds, but I will be happy mid-January once here. Funny how they want everything digital to be faster better system, yet I can't walk from my bank across parking lot to the seller's bank with a certified money transfer and have it done. Should have put the cash in my pocket and flown over to get it, may have done that if it was springtime when the roads were better. Im pretty sure would have cost a bit less and car at my home sooner.
As for offset for 18x9 so I can get the 275 all around, is there a back spacing that works front and back or is required to be different front to back. If a different off set is required, I would try for 18x10 out back.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update !
Got the spare set of keys, all the paperwork, car gets loaded Wednesday, then its wait till late January for it to show up. At this point the longer it takes the better, no snow in Nova Scotia, but I'm up to my you know what here in Vancouver with the white stuff.
Silly tax grab from our government in B.C. The car was inspected once it was on the lot, then again for the transport company, and yet I will pay once again to have it looked at for road safety once here. Not as difficult bringing a car in from the USA, but from province to province in the same country blows my mind. Do you guys' n gal's have a state to state policy for cars crossing state lines that are sold ?

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I used to do Provincial Motor Vehicle Inspections as part of my job here in BC
It keeps a lot of junk out and uncovers some dangerous sh#$
Used car dealers , they only do the minimum and really do not make sure a vehical complies to regulations.
Auto carriers only worry about being blamed for damage.
My car came from out of province in 2001.
Sold by a major dealer , shipped by a major carrier.
Because it was not yet in my name , legally I was able to inspect it myself.
It sure as hell didn't pass its inspection.
Not saying your car will not be great ,
The trick , as always , is finding an inspection shop that is interested in safety and compliance not selling work.

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
some states have inspections for licensing.
Well , that is basically what we have in British Columbia.
Our basic insurance is government , most of us has all our insurance from them.
Couple of our neighboring provinces , windshield breakage is frequent and insurance for glass is costly to prohibitively expensive.
People would bring in out of province cars with cracked glass thinking they could make a $ 100 claim later on .
Sorry , no pass buddy.

· Registered
3,515 Posts
Most states (if not all) require any new car being issued a Title in that state to have the VIN inspected. They want to make sure it matches the VIN on the previous states registration. That inspection must be done by either a member of law enforcement or the clerk that is handling your paperwork.

Title/registration on any car is a pain in the ass here in Florida. They go over the paperwork with a microscope and if there is ANYTHING they don't like for ANY reason, you're screwed. It's also very expensive, nearly 1k expensive. Plates are issued to the individual and not the vehicle. You buy a car, you are buying a $350 plate plus taxes, fees, etc. You sell that car, you keep the plate and the person that bought the car does it all over again.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most states (if not all) require any new car being issued a Title in that state to have the VIN inspected. They want to make sure it matches the VIN on the previous states registration. That inspection must be done by either a member of law enforcement or the clerk that is handling your paperwork.

Title/registration on any car is a pain in the ass here in Florida. They go over the paperwork with a microscope and if there is ANYTHING they don't like for ANY reason, you're screwed. It's also very expensive, nearly 1k expensive. Plates are issued to the individual and not the vehicle. You buy a car, you are buying a $350 plate plus taxes, fees, etc. You sell that car, you keep the plate and the person that bought the car does it all over again.

· Registered
11,638 Posts

If you are a veteran or a disabled veteran you get a discount. It is pretty substantial. If the car is over 30 yrs. the registration is 1/2 the standard amount. Fall of the next model year begins the discount.

· Registered
11,638 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may get in on the Modified collector thing if I don't use it for to and from work. Being I am not working and don't have a clue when I am going back this is an option. PS ill crop the pics next time...LOL

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Your car ( mine too ) is too young for modified collector plates in BC.
1974 or older

Unmodded , except for the allowable " day two " mods , you would be eligable for normal collectors plates.
Allowable modifications at the bottom of this PDF
Adobe Acrobat

1 - 20 of 51 Posts