Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking through my JC Whitney catalog and I saw Pyramid 6X9, 300 watt, 4 way speakers with 100 oz magnets for $49.99. Has anybody tried these? Would these be a good replacement for my factory speakers? My current system is pretty stock except for a Delco CD player out of a 97 Camaro, which by the way was a perfect drop in for my 95 9C1.

Not an audiophile but I do like to crank up the volume on my AC/DC, BTO, and yes, Prince CDs. If I can get some decent speakers I might even get a Kid Rock CD. :eek:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never heard those speakers before, but in my opinion you usually get what you pay for. However, if you're on a budget.. anything would probably be better than the stock speakers that come in these things. It's practically criminal in comparison to the decent sound systems that came in the 94-96 F-Body.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get speakers that will sound 100 times better for $75 - $100. Best Buy sells a set of Rockford Fosgate 6x9's for less than $100 that I was really impressed with. I personally have MB Quart 6x9's that sound awesome and were less than $100.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might try calling the Harman Audio Outlet Center and get a price quote on a set of Infinity or JBL speakers. Most are selling for 50 - 60% off list prices. Sure, they may be last years models, but a top of the line speaker selling for half price is always a bargain. I bought JBL 6x9 3-way and 4x6 2-way Titaniumss from them several years ago and paid like $66.00 and $46.00 a pair. Their phone number is 1-877-714-5467

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CRAP. i know a kid that bought a set from ebay, as soon as he hooked them up and turned on the radio. they blue, get something better!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take your time and look around i got a set of plye gear 4 way 6x9's 400 watt speakers
60 oz maganet
capactior
check out the web siteplyeaudio
the product number is PLG694

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. I put four Rockford-Fosgate speakers in my Formula after doing a speaker comparison session at Best Buy. They sounded the best to me for the price. On paper the Pyramids look really good for the price. I think that I'll go back to Best Buy and Circuit City and look for a set of 6X9's and 6.5's that sound good to my ears without breaking my budget.

I was at Circuit City in the sound booth last week listening to some Bazooka 6X9's that sounded phenomenally good - until I noticed that an amp had automatically powered up a sub woofer box in back of me when I selected the Bazookas. Sneaky, very sneaky.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Rockfords. Some of the best bass I've heard from a 6 x 9 at ANY price!

Since all the rest of my speakers are MB Quart, I went with the MB Quart 6 x 9's instead. I haven't had them in very long, but I'd say they sound the same.

About last years/discontinued/outlet speakers: Did they sound good when you heard them last year? Then they'll still sound good this year! In my own opinion, the technological advancements made to a speaker in a years time rarely justify paying twice as much. Subs may be the exception, seems like somebody is always coming out with a sub that is 10 times better than the previous years one *coughJLAudiocough*.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got the time and money, after doing the plugs/wires, transmission fluid/filter, differential fluid change, brakes, rust removal/repaint on the frame, window guide fix, etc, etc, etc to install some new 6X9 rear speakers. I picked up Pioneer TS-A6975, 220 watt, 3 way speakers from Wal Mart for $59.99 and they sound great! Crutchfield lists them for $99.99 so the Wal Mart price is really good. I couldn't believe my eyes when I took out the factory 6X9 speakers. Geez, talk about cheap. When I get the money I'll do the front speakers. I haven't decided if I want 4X6 speakers or do the template/cutting thing and get 6.5's. I hate to cut my baby. The only bad thing about the speakers is that they have a much better mid and high range response and I can now hear the tape hiss from my cassette deck. :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear you didn't get the Pyramids,back in the day ,I remember seeing this brand advertising a 400 watt EQ/amp ,the face was about an inch thick and weighed about 3 ounces,funny thing was ,they always said it would put out this incredible wattage,but they never mentioned it was 400 watts of pure distortion,what a joke! Always stick to well known brands!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSLOWMO:
pryamid is well known... For SUCKING & BLOWING!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<LMAO>

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude pyrimad ****in suck a nut.