Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble installing the replacement jeep shaft on my 95 SS. It seems like the shaft is to short to reach the gear box.
Thanks in advance...........

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
You have to loosen the shaft so that it will slide. You may need a press, or a BFH. Protect the universal joints, or you could damage them. Soak it in PB Blaster or something similar overnight before trying to move it. There is a nylon tension insert in the tube, so be careful with a lot of heat.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to loosen the shaft so that it will slide. You may need a press, or a BFH. Protect the universal joints, or you could damage them. Soak it in PB Blaster or something similar overnight before trying to move it. There is a nylon tension insert in the tube, so be careful with a lot of heat.
Fred I already had the oem shaft off. Just trying to get the jeep shaft on it's at full ext just not long enough.

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
You either have the wrong shaft, or there is something amiss. If you can weld, cut a portion of the OEM outer shaft off, and weld it to the Jeep unit. I have never heard of a correct shaft not being long enough.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You either have the wrong shaft, or there is something amiss. If you can weld, cut a portion of the OEM outer shaft off, and weld it to the Jeep unit. I have never heard of a correct shaft not being long enough.
That's what I thought I brought it from white cloud a week ago.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sent you a PM. The shaft is the same as all the others I have sold here. I collapsed prior to shipping. May need a bit more persuasion to get up to full length.

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
I am the one who taught 96WhiteCloud all he knows about Jeep steering shafts (except for maybe some of the newer ones). He would not steer you wrong. Do what he says.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Bfh.... tap it outward to the proper length.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
im still trying to figure out whats so great about the jeep shaft. does the car steer any better? or is it just a better design?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am the one who taught 96WhiteCloud all he knows about Jeep steering shafts (except for maybe some of the newer ones). He would not steer you wrong. Do what he says.
Going to try BFH tomorrow LOL........
Should the jeep shaft and the oem shaft be same length side side by side?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How hard is the swap? Has anyone done an install writeup before? Will it also work on Roadys?
Not hard at all just take out the old one and replace it with new jeep shaft from 96whitecloud

·
Registered
377 Posts
Going to try BFH tomorrow LOL........
Should the jeep shaft and the oem shaft be same length side side by side?
The Jeep shaft will slide out to the same length as the stock shaft. When partially collapsed, you should feel a little bit of play in the two parts. As you slide the shaft out, you will notice that the play disappears. This is due to 2 factors. The hollow tube part is narrower towards the end, the solid shaft has 2 plastic inserts towards the end. As the plastic inserts slide in to the narrower portion of the tube, the play in the shaft desapears, it also makes it quite a bit harder to slide out at his point so a bit of persuasion may be required. BFH is one way, I used a piece of wood for leverage and it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
377 Posts
How hard is the swap? Has anyone done an install writeup before? Will it also work on Roadys?
Yes, they work great on Roadys ;) It's 2 bolts to do the swap, just takes a bit of manuvering around the ABS lines to get the old one out, and a bit of persuasion to get the new one in.

Is there a difference between the steering shaft you sell and the one from jeep?
The ones I sell are used units pulled from Jeeps. I make sure they are in proper working condition as well as a decent cosmetic condition before I put them up for sale. I do not have any available currently. When they become available, they will be listed in the for sale section.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Success!!!!!
Had to beat the Sh*t of it but, it came out all the way........
thanks whitecloud........

1 - 20 of 146 Posts