Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's a good point. I used a longer set screw and just put a through hole on one side so that it seats on the inside of the tube. This will prevent the tube from coming out of the joint.

You can see the set screw in the picture with the completed shaft, next to the red pen.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
After working with the Jeep shaft a little, I reached a point when I wasn't satisfied with the rubber isolated on the one end. So I cut the DD shaft off the stock shaft so that I could retain the spring tensioner.

[

One thing to note, I used red loctite on all set screws, and I also dimpled the spots where the set screws rest. This will ensure a firm joint between the shaft and the universal joint.

This is one of many options when it comes to making a steering shaft. Enjoy.
why didnt you just buy the complete borgeson sliding shaft? :confused:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Deleted in order to clean it up a little. Jeep shaft discussion. Only wanted to point out an alternate method.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
First, the borgeson shaft doesn't have a spring tensioner like the OEM shaft utilizes.

Second, I built this shaft cheaper than I could have bought one. Only spent 140 to build and I have enough 1" DD to mod my other caprice. The joints are also stainless steel and are much better, IMO.

Third, being a hobby, I enjoy fabricating and building it to my standards. With money, you can purchase anything you want. I have always liked the saying, built not bought.
all that spring does is provide sliding tension, any steering play during driving is gonna easily override that spring.
the borgeson slider has a groove and setscrew that can be adjusted to take up any play if really necessary.

·
Registered
934 Posts
just notice my boot looks like that were the boot is open does any fluid go in ????? Ive never removed one before how hard is it

·
Registered
658 Posts
while the spring tensioner is better than a hard press fit, it will still put more stress on the steering box and column, it don't slide as well as the stock pin/block coupler on the bottom of the column. Turns out my stock 285k shaft has no play at all. it's the center link. I told the boneheads to tell me if anything was loose when I got it aligned......

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
just notice my boot looks like that were the boot is open does any fluid go in ????? Ive never removed one before how hard is it
I have an upper section with a good boot for $25 shipped

·
Registered
934 Posts
I wouldent even know to to remove it lol

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
I wouldent even know to to remove it lol
Pretty simple...one bolt on the steering gear end, one bolt on the column end...compress, and remove. Separate the ends, and install the donor end. Assembly is the reverse.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Theres a 94 at my local pick a part am gonna try it on that one first then ill most likely take yours

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just tried installing a Jeep steering shaft on my 9c1 today. Just FYI, it will not fit with Hooker headers. The upper part rubs hard on a tube.

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
The interference has been noted in other threads. Did you get the early, or late (after 91) shaft. The earlier ones are a little smaller than the later ones. You could try using the upper shaft from the caprice with the lower shaft from the Jeep. I have not tried to use them together, but they might fit. Another option is to weld the bottom shaft of the Caprice part to the bottom universal of the Jeep, and use the upper half of the Caprice shaft with the welded up lower Jeep/Caprice shaft.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The interference has been noted in other threads. Did you get the early, or late (after 91) shaft. The earlier ones are a little smaller than the later ones. You could try using the upper shaft from the caprice with the lower shaft from the Jeep. I have not tried to use them together, but they might fit. Another option is to weld the bottom shaft of the Caprice part to the bottom universal of the Jeep, and use the upper half of the Caprice shaft with the welded up lower Jeep/Caprice shaft.
It's a 94 shaft. I also thought about combining the Caprice shaft with the Jeep but the way they join together is flip-flopped (male on top on one, male on bottom on other). Welding it could be an option.

I did notice that the rag joint on the OEM shaft was ridiculously soft. 90's car technology should have been better for police cars.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine dropped in easier than the old one came out, much tighter steering, now to replace final suspension parts, upper & lower control arms and see if steering box is the next step.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I just tried installing a Jeep steering shaft on my 9c1 today. Just FYI, it will not fit with Hooker headers. The upper part rubs hard on a tube.
Yeah, I had the same problem with my Hookers (man, that sounds Pimp-ish) and probably mentioned this elsewhere on the Forum if not in this lengthy Thread somewhere.

I ended up buying a replacement B-Body Shaft from Fred Kiehl (great seller BTW) since my original boot was ripped, installed it and sold the Jeep Shaft to another member. I was going to try and shift the base of the Steering Column at the Firewall over some to see if that would give the clearance needed, but just never opted to do that.

Shame though, cause I really wanted to install the Jeep Shaft. I may try again one day when I swap over to a set of Tri-Y's, just not in the budget right now.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
what I'd like to know is...who sat one day thinking "I wonder what a jeep steering shaft would do inside my impala?" :)

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
The EZ-Fit steering shaft from FlamingRiver clears the Hooker's easily. They are not cheap,and are a custom length. It is an extremely robust design,and is nickle-plated.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
101 - 120 of 146 Posts