Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I did a few searches trying to find what year of Jeep steering shaft will fit, couldn't find a definitive answer.
I understand that there are more than 1 type that can be made to fit, so what year Jeep shaft requires the least amount of hacking to fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Not sure of the year but I have one I'm willing to sell, bought it from a member here years ago and have never gotten around to I stalling g it. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I stopped pulling them, because I had to pull 4 to get a good one. If it clicks when twisted, the U joints are worn out. You can get a new one on Amazon for about $120.

The earlier ones 91-93 are better. You can use 94 and newer ones (of the same design), but they tend to disconnect at the upper universal bushing. You can weld the shaft to the upper joint fork to make them safe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a look at these two links.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/tech-stories/driveway-tech-how-two-swap-a-jeep-steering-shaft-into-your-gm-b-body-or-g-body-car-with-a-trashed-rag-joint/

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/239411-going-junkyard-jeep-steering-shaft-what-tools-take-what-look.html

Be sure of what you need. Junkyard shafts may also be worn out and may not be correct for your use because they have been changed out for other designs.

What region of Canada?
I'm in Nova Scotia

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Why even bother? Just go borgeson.
Have you priced Borgeson? A new Jeep shaft is about the price of ONE universal joint from Borgeson. It will also work just as well as the Borgeson setup.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Yes I have.

I stopped pulling them, because I had to pull 4 to get a good one. If it clicks when twisted, the U joints are worn out. You can get a new one on Amazon for about $120.

The earlier ones 91-93 are better. You can use 94 and newer ones (of the same design), but they tend to disconnect at the upper universal bushing. You can weld the shaft to the upper joint fork to make them safe.

I value my life a lot more than a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
There is no danger in using the Jeep shaft, as long as you know the weak points, and fix them. A couple of hundred dollars frivolously spent is still a couple of hundred dollars you no longer have. If you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars more for the same results, that is up to you, but safety is not an issue with the Jeep shaft, especially if you buy a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts